Thread: CCL Tear and Surgery

Default CCL Tear and Surgery

Our English Cocker has apparently torn his CCL in the right rear leg. A referral to the surgery center in Greenville has been made. We will discuss our options once talking with the surgeon. My "only" option is to get this dog well as my family is very attached to him. Dog is 9 and still very active. Our vet gave us a range of $1500-$3000 dependent on the exact procedure used. Recovery time is at least 8 weeks. Anybody ever been through this with a dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it. Rehab is important. Take it seriously and you will get an excellent recovery.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Dealing with same diagnosis with lab. $3k for the TLPO surgery, which will happen next week.

12 weeks rehab, probably give her the entire season off (6-8 hunts) this year unless the surgeon gives her the green light.

We met with the vet surgeon this past Wednesday. He has a complete tear of the ligament. We were given two surgical options to consider. One is a suture only at $2K and the more extensive option was a range of $3300-3600 depending on exactly what is done once they get in there. Rehab for both is 12 weeks. We will make a decision this coming week. He's getting pretty good on three legs, but it kills me to see him walk around like that.

Did TLPO surgery on a big dog and his recovery was amazing. For a big dog TLPO is the only option. For a small dog suture is an option and what they did before TLPO but I don't have any first hand experience with it. I will say 2k for suture sounds expensive. But I've never priced it. TLPO is a patented procedure with specialized training and much more complex.

My oldest GSP tore his front shoulder up at 7/8. He's slowed down from old age at 15.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Type of repair is more activity dependent than size. Couch 'taters tend to do well with a MRIT (The lateral fabella suture). Canine athletes always get a recommendation for TPLO if finances allow. I do a lot of cruciate repairs here and my cut off is about 50 lbs'ish. I've done bigger/heavier dogs that weren't very active that did very well. And I've sent some 40 lb'rs for a TPLO because they were active enough that it suited them better. There is no template and each case is different in what works or is recommended.

My advice for active athletic dogs is to get the most stable repair you can afford and follow the post op instructions to the letter.

My chocolate tore his ate ten. My vet at the time tried to do some sort of a rap at first, can't quite remember, but it didn't work. I was going to get it fixed. I ended up taking him to Columbia. It was some place near the Sportsmens Warehouse, whatever you call that gnarly ass area. They were great. It took sometime to recover, had him in a cone for what seemed like weeks. We had small kids then, he was inside all day long. But he was a great dog, if I remember it was around 3500. It was worth it to me, and my family. He hunted, played, and entertained us for another five years.

He'll be having the TPLO surgery in late August or early September most likely. With all of the stuff my family has going on right now and sending our oldest off to college in August, having a recovering canine surgical patient at home is not part of the game plan. I have talked it over with my vet and he sees no issue with delaying the surgery a few months. Hell, he told me his own son was waiting until next spring to have shoulder surgery.

If all goes well, he may be picking up doves in January.

TPLO is a good choice. I had a chocolate female who had it done at 5 years old and I just had to put her down this past January at age 13. Like Glenn mentioned, strictly follow the post surgery instructions and he will do well. Its alot of aggravation on your part and time consuming but worth it in the long run. Also, just for the record, at the time my dog had hers repaired, we were quoted $700 for the suture repair by two different vets. $2,000 seems high as giraffe balls.

Price of doin' business has changed a grunt in the last 8-10 years.