Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into moving heavy shit.

Default Getting back into moving heavy shit.

Belonged to a box for 2 years or so then took a hiatus. I want to get back into it but don't want to pay the high box memberships, and local gyms don't offer the equipment to do cross fit style workouts, bumper plates, boxes, ropes ext. Been running lately, but getting board of that so I've been doing it less. What other options do I have, pick up a bar and some plates and start back in the garage? Not sure about doing my own programing.

In my experience, working out at home never happens. what is a box membership?

Is that what Manny paquiou pays?

Cross fit Gym, not to mention taking up the space in my already crowded garage, and the fact that I need structure, someone to tell me what to do. All equals big fail for working out at the house.
    Last edited by scmoose; 05-31-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Spend that money on a membership. It's worth it.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

YMCA - $60/month with free child care
    Crossfit in Summerville is dang near $200/month...forget that

I can do all I need to at the y

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post

200 a month????

Yall should have showed up after the tornado hit Week ago and I will bet you would have been better off. Pussy's
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

135 around here with military discount. Prolly going to go back to the box.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

F3nation.com

I have a little gym that is a 24 hour deal. It has everything you could want and it's 20 bucks a month. Well worth it for me. Although that 200 dollars a month is more for the accountability and motivation.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post

Which one in Summerville?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Which one in Summerville?
    For the Y - downtown

Crossfit - it was all I checked. I was looking to do something different last year. After the sticker shock wore off I realized I was fine at the YMCA.

I'd probably look into other gyms other than the YMCA but none of the others that we've looked into have child care plus my wife like all the dance/aerobics/pilates type classes.
    Last edited by reeltight; 06-01-2017 at 06:04 AM.

f 3 as mentioned. It's free. I've not been but get the concept. I don't get why a bunch of grown men give each other and refer to each other by nicknames in a workout group. That is gay as fuck. And stupid. I've thought about trying it out but I can't get past the name thing nor do I think I'd want to hang with some guys that do that shit and think it's cute.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Orangetheory Fitness is relatively cheaper than Crossfit, easier on your body and you can achieve very similar results. Check it out, your first class is free
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Quote Originally Posted by ecwooduck View Post
    Orangetheory Fitness is relatively cheaper than Crossfit, easier on your body and you can achieve very similar results. Check it out, your first class is free
    And the scenery beats all crossfit gyms.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    And the scenery beats all crossfit gyms.
    You ain't kidding!
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Plenty of free online programming that is decent. Or you can pay for programming and still come out cheaper than your local box fees. I've been working out in my garage for over two years now and I don't think I could go back to a box. Equipment costs hurt at first but once you get the basics, you can add as you go. I started out with a rogue squat rack that doubles as a yoke rig too, bought rogue's "beater" bar and 300lbs worth of weight and built my own jump box. Now I have two bars, a rower, pull up bar, 35, 50, 70lbs kb's and dumbells, a sled, sandbag, med-balls and more jump ropes than I can count, despite the fact that I'm still not coordinated enough to get double unders.

Some people say they can't workout without being motivated, I never understand that. My competition was always in my own head. Most online programs have leaderboards similar to your box so you can still get some of that rivalry if you need it. On the plus side, I can workout whenever I can fit in my schedule, not according to class times, and I can spend extra time on things I need to work on without holding up a class full of people. My wife also works out with me sometimes.

Edited to add: Biggest downside is not having a coach there to help you with technique. If you don't have a good background in the mechanics of lifting heavy weight, you may need someone there to help you.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 06-01-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by ecwooduck View Post
    Orangetheory Fitness is relatively cheaper than Crossfit,
    What is said cost of this gym? I've never looked into them. Just checked their website and no membership fees are posted.

I pay 20 a month at golds in Aiken and it has childcare. Wife joined dynamic in Lexington for 20 a month with childcare.