Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baiting ducks

Default Baiting ducks

Upstate NY hunting guide, TV host pleads guilty to baiting waterfowl for clients

David Figura | dfigura@nyup.com By David Figura | dfigura@nyup.com
    Follow on Twitter
    on May 31, 2017 at 11:35 AM, updated May 31, 2017 at 2:34 PM
    shares
    A well-known, North Country outdoors guide and outdoors TV personality pleaded guilty in federal court in Syracuse Tuesday to two counts of violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act by guiding waterfowl hunts over baited ponds for profit on two separate occasions in October 2015.

William Saiff III, 53, of Henderson, agreed to a plea bargain, which included payment of a $5,000 fine, forteiture of any hunting or guiding privileges (other than fishing) until Jan. 1, 2019.

Saiff also agreed to make charitable donations totaling $10,000 to non-profit wildlife organizations of his choice.

He is due back in court July 21 for sentencing in the Syracuse court before United States Magistrate Judge Therese Wiley Dancks. He could face a maximum prison sentence of up to one year and a fine of up to $100,000 per count.

Saiff is a professional hunting guide whose website advertises that for 18 years he "hosted the popular hunting and shooting sports program Cabin Country as seen on Public Television stations across the country." He is owner and operator of Bill Saiff Outdoors and Seaway Waterfowl Professionals.

In his written plea bargain, Saiff admitted that "on Oct. 27, 2015, he guided a hunting party over a baited pond in the Town of Cape Vincent, in Jefferson County. Saiff had previously installed an underwater trough at the pond to hold bait. As part of his guilty plea today Saiff admitted that prior to the hunt he stocked the trough with corn to attract waterfowl to the pond. Investigators found the hidden trough stocked with corn one day prior to the hunt. Before they were approached by investigators who stopped the hunt, Saiff's hunting party shot and killed several protected waterfowl," according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

"Saiff also admitted that on October 31, 2015, he guided a hunting party over a baited pond in the Town of Rodman in Jefferson County. Saiff acknowledged that he placed approximately 50 pounds of corn along the shoreline of the pond less than ten days prior to that hunt. Saiff's hunting party killed several protected birds, including geese and ducks, before a law enforcement officer intervened and seized the dead waterfowl," according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

The case was investigated by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and state Department of Environmental Conservation. It was prosecuted by Asst. U.S. Attorney Michael F. Perry.

Saiff's Fishing Charters has been Lake Ontario's largest private charter operation for more than 30 years, according to his Facebook page. He also owns the Westview Lodge in Henderson Harbor, which features a hotel, restaurant and full service bar.

Whooptido....

Protected waterfowl?

Serious question. What if baiting was legal for ducks?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    The limit would have to be lowered to less than one duck per hunter per season to compensate for all the new hunters who would have never been able to kill a duck otherwise. Hunting ducks without bait is just difficult enough to discourage some of the multitudes of wannabes. If it was easier, they might stick with it.

Agree

I still wouldn't do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    The limit would have to be lowered to less than one duck per hunter per season to compensate for all the new hunters who would have never been able to kill a duck otherwise. Hunting ducks without bait is just difficult enough to discourage some of the multitudes of wannabes. If it was easier, they might stick with it.
    Unless of course, you flood your field of corn. Then you are a certified bonafide badass Duck Hunter.

Rich folk put water to corn. Poor folk put corn to water.

The majority of wannabes don't have land, tractors, discs, planters, sprayers, pumps, etc. The folks that do have the resources to make compelling stopover spots for migrating duck are the ones that help put ducks in my reach....and they have the same possession limits as me.

If baiting was legal for ducks..... We'd all benefit. Not immediately but after a few years of baiting and imprinting every person on this site would see a benefit. If everyone baited, it would increase the amount of available food in the area. If there was corn in every puddle, pond, and oxbow, ducks might would actually want to spend time in this state. I'm completely against baiting for big game, but I really believe the state has it backwards regarding baiting laws.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

The State has nothing to do with it.

I think the average corn pond grower/landowner has enough skin in the game with the cost of land, equipment, labor, etc. that they have a huge incentive to manage the resource properly...even in the absence of game laws but certainly within the limits currently provided.

If dumping corn were legal, I think the average heybo would be powerless against the temptation to kill every duck they possibly can that is drawn to their $200 worth of shelled corn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Rich folk put water to corn. Poor folk put corn to water.
    Well put.

I would be a rich MOFO. Back in the day they called me Well DRDUCK and for a reason
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

And it's legal for poor people to turn them selves into rich people

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    The season would be less than 20 days....probably closer to 10 days.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    And it's legal for poor people to turn them selves into rich people
    Don't know what you mean by that but I was not born into it. Just saying
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I have often wondered about a country wide legalization of baiting for ducks. I'm not sure it would have a great as an effect as some would think. Ducks are smart.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

obeying laws has nothing to do with a persons bank account.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1