Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rain And Poults...

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Most hens never come back once bumped. Or rather studies show that 11% do and 89% don't.

Interesting. I've never heard that before. Did they happen to mention in the study why they thought that was?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney Mac View Post
    Interesting. I've never heard that before. Did they happen to mention in the study why they thought that was?
    What I read said that first year hens are more likely to not come back. Older hens will tolerate more, but will still abandon a nest and start a new one in a "safer" area.
    Turkeys are stupid. Turkeys are fragile. It's amazing they are not extinct.

We had a hen nest right in the middle of a food plot off a main road. No way not to bumper as it was the only access into the property. I think we bumped her 5 to 6 times before she finally gave up.

The closer the eggs are to hatching the more likely the hen will return to the nest from what most studies show (likely as the young begin to peep within the shell). This reason is one of the biggest "hurts of the extended dates of the new season" spoken from biologist who specialize in Turks as it further decreases re nest attempts. No peace in the woods or roads etc.
    Last edited by Strick9; 06-09-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    I told y'all they would be fine. Y'all realize they can swim right...?
    I officially no longer worry about poults and rain.

Saturday evening I was running the boat from the point to edisto and once I hit edisto river, I thought I was missing a crab buoy by just a couple feet. It wasnt a crab pot buoy, it was turkey poults swimming across the river. I didn't think they could swim, guess i never asked....
    No telling where they started. The one i almost hit actually came to the boat. By time I got a few picked up the other one I saw in the water made it to the marsh(low tide). Sure they appreciated the lift.

Not sure how many their were, saw atleast 4. I could hear what i thought was a few more in the marsh.
    Last edited by buckpro; 06-09-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post

Saturday evening I was running the boat from the point to edisto and once I hit edisto river, I thought I was missing a crab buoy by just a couple feet. It wasnt a crab pot buoy, it was turkey poults swimming across the river. I didn't think they could swim, guess i never asked....
    No telling where they started. The one i almost hit actually came to the boat. By time I got a few picked up the other one I saw in the water made it to the marsh(low tide). Sure they appreciated the lift.

Not sure how many their were, saw atleast 4. I could hear what i thought was a few more in the marsh.
    Dayum!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Saw 4 hens together yesterday. No babies. Saw 1 hen Friday no babies.

I saw a hen yesterday with 7 poults. They were wood ducked sized.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtnap View Post
    I saw a hen yesterday with 7 poults. They were wood ducked sized.
    What county?

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post

Told ya.

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    What county?
    Upper Charleston. In Awendaw. Been hearing good reports from others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtnap View Post
    Upper Charleston. In Awendaw. Been hearing good reports from others as well.
    That's good. I saw the 4 hens with 0 poults near Awendaw.

Buddy of mine just told me he saw 10-12 on the way to work this morning in Berkeley county.

I saw 2 hens with 12 poults on Saturday.

I pulled 4 camera cards this evening that were all on corn piles. I was hoping for velvet antler pics but instead had several hundred
    pics of turkeys and not a poult in any of them. Groups of 5 to 7 mature gobblers and hens in each pic, zero poults.
    I did have a pic of a doe that looked like she swallowed two basket balls. Is it possible she hasn't given birth yet?
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-16-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Still haven't seen any but I won't judge it until next spring when the Jakes are out about and in full force!
    Seen two coveys of golf ball size quail!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I've seen 3 hens with 12-14 poults in the same field the past 3 mornings. They were about the size of small chickens.

2 hens together with quite a few poults yesterday off Bluff Rd. All were able to fly.

Saw three hens with 15-20 poults in Clarendon County. Thursday. Saw something twice this week I have never seen before, on Tuesday I saw a Tom breeding a hen in Clarendon and then my cousin and I saw the same thing in orangeburg yesterday