Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you sleep on out of state public land hunts

I love my camper shell. Picked it up for $300. I plan on doing a few truck camping hunts in the future myself
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

My brother was looking at converting his enclosed trailer to sleeping quarters when he's go out of state.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    My brother was looking at converting his enclosed trailer to sleeping quarters when he's go out of state.
    My neighbor has an enclosed trailer they use to go on week long atv rides. Has a rooftop a/c, generator, and an electric heater. Built a fold down bed kind of like the old school hideaways. They just leave the can-am outside while they are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

When we go on our yearly trip we stay in a motel or try to find a house to rent.

I prefer the motel myself. When we go its all business and A LOT of work. We hunt then hang or move stands then back in the tree for the evening.

We have to change things yearly depending on the crop rotations because that will change the deer movement completely.
    Once the stands are situated its hunt from daylight until dark unless its extremely hot
    Last thing I want to do is have to fool with cleaning up or cooking.

I save whatever money needed for the trip during the year to cover those cost
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Ole KRT and myself rough it in this when we hit the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the way to do it Easy E

Go big or go home.....
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    My next truck will have a longer bed and a camper shell. No doubt about it
    You can fit just fine in a short bed
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

1) Figure out your budget.
    2) Go as large as you can - for comfort.

William Gettys Smart
    1830-1906
    Company A
    49th NC Infantry
    CSA

Remember....

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=12958647

Easy E does that thing really show Bruce's doctors number?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    If I had a second truck to pull my gooseneck I'd get a camper shell in a heartbeat.
    I've been wondering about this. I have a 5th wheel camper that I pull for the family trips and park on the deer and duck land during season. But when I go on solo and on dive trips I thought about getting a camper top. How hard is it to remove and install a camper shell if you still need to use the 5th wheel? And what about waterproofing? Would it need a new seal every time?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    I've been wondering about this. I have a 5th wheel camper that I pull for the family trips and park on the deer and duck land during season. But when I go on solo and on dive trips I thought about getting a camper top. How hard is it to remove and install a camper shell if you still need to use the 5th wheel? And what about waterproofing? Would it need a new seal every time?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    My Dad set up 4- 4x4 posts with cross beams- backs his truck under it, attached the camper shell to 4 small boat winches and lifts it up a few inches- then drives out. He is 78 and does it by himself- uses quick attach brackets and doesn't worry about weather stripping too much. It has an a/c mounted in the back wall, a fold down bed, mini flat screen with antenna, etc. He uses it a few times each year to go on trips with his dog to the beach/lake. He pulled a camper around the country for decades but downsized after my Mom passed.

To mirror what others have said the camper shell is the way to go if you are solo. It's my mobile apartment during turkey season. Places such as Wal-Mart will allow overnight camping in their lot.

I use this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/campi...ot/1993865.uts in a standard bed Chevy K1500. Get a piece of scrap 2' foam for a little more padding under the bedroll. I keep my cooler and clothes on one side of the truck bed. A battery box powers the phone chargers and a small fan when it's hot. The slide windows and screens in the shell are really nice to have for ventilation.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

If you don't want the expense, a buddy of mine from Nebraska uses something similar to this (his is actually a little larger).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Napie...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    William Gettys Smart
    1830-1906
    Company A
    49th NC Infantry
    CSA

Remember....

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=12958647

I just bought a 1st generation sequoia to do be my hunting rig. It replaces my 1985 4runner. It is a solid truck with heat and air. I plan to use it to hunt out of state and be my camper. Trucks are much more expensive than there SUV equivalent.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I'll sleep in mine in a heartbeat. I'm. BOut to put the sunshade awning on mine also
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

When I was a kid I would camp in my truck. I enjoy a shower and bed these days.

You can have a heated shower from your truck too.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    You can have a heated shower from your truck too.
    Interested can you explain or provide a link?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.