Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you sleep on out of state public land hunts

Default Where do you sleep on out of state public land hunts

Interested to see your temp living arrangements while hunting public land? Last year I spent 23 days in a tent out of state, but I need to do some updating. Not sure I could afford to stay in a motel each night. What are you all doing?

In a van by the river.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Somebody on here a while back, had a thread about turning his truck bed into a sleeping/storage space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I only camp when hunting during turkey season. The past several years I've rolled with a tent at various campgrounds, hopefully somewhat nearby the area I want to hunt. Earlier this spring I bought a camper shell for my truck. This is what has been riding in the bed of my truck since April 1, and I've got one more out of state run this weekend.

I carry one or two coolers, a small propane grill, a 7 gallon water jug ( wash hands, portable shower ), one plastic tote with bread and camping shit in it and a few extra pairs of boots. Extra clothes, gun, vest and other odd and ends ride in the back seat. I sleep on a single person air mattress. When I get to where I'm going to sleep I pull my cooler out, blow my mattress up, cook, then go to sleep. When I wake up I pull the plug on my mattress, fold it over one time, throw my sleeping bag on top, cooler back in and I'm ready to roll. It has really simplified things and kept me very mobile, I can change locations at any time and all my shit is in my truck. On extended stays where rough weather is forecasted it's still nice to have a tent to crawl into so you're not cramped in the bed of the truck, trying to cook, sleep, and stay dry all at the same time,

Certain NF lands in certain states will let you sleep at closed gates, as long as you're not blocking the gate, just as if you were hunting. Now I realize this is a fine line between "camping" on a spot to hunt and just sleeping. However it is nice to be able to roll into an area fairly late and get a few hours sleep before sun up. Other areas require you to use a designated campground, most without a reservation. While others require a permit to camp primitively on NF lands but won't allow you to sleep in your truck as in a mobile campsite. Each state is different and have their own set of rules between NF land and / or WMA areas. I've found the southern states to be much more appealing to someone who just wants to sleep in their truck and hunt. Up North they seem to want to make you jump through a few more hoops.

So far this spring I think I've spent 9 or 10 nights in my truck and roughly 3 in my tent.

Pop up camper. Has served me well for over a decade.

Thanks for the info. Burney Mac, thinking the campershell maybe the way to go for me. Lots of my hunts are solo 3-4 days runs so I will check that out

I sleep in the truck bed under camper shell. Have things figured out and stay comfortable and dry.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My next truck will have a longer bed and a camper shell. No doubt about it
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

The problem i run into is how do i get a camper shell for less than 1500$?

I originally bought my Excursion for use at my duck camp so I could fly back and forth instead of driving, but I have some future plans for it out west. I keep my third row seat out, there's room for a twin mattress back there, along with everything else I could possibly need. Starting in 2018 or 2019 depending on some other hunts, I plan on 'truck camping' with it.

Holiday Inn Express

Not mine but cool set up..
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinmission View Post
    The problem i run into is how do i get a camper shell for less than 1500$?
    Craigslist.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Burney Mac, thinking the campershell maybe the way to go for me. Lots of my hunts are solo 3-4 days runs so I will check that out

That's what most of mine hunts are and I'm rolling solo, so it works out perfect.

I searched a long time to try and find a used camper shell that would fit and match my truck and never could find what I was looking for so I bought new....which hurt lol. Only thing I can say that I feel is a must is get one, if you can, with the sliding rear side windows with screens. You can close the tailgate and hatch and you still get plenty of air flow even on those warm nights, plus it keeps the bugs off of you.

Camper shells are the tits. Hell you can even get them with AC these days.

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Not mine but cool set up..

Damn if Ida had that set up at 16. Shit son, that right there is Days Inn up town.

Slide in truck camper.

"hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I would need a loan for that Stripa

If I had a second truck to pull my gooseneck I'd get a camper shell in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.