Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SC To Give Black Students Free Tuition

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You keep using this word free and it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Free means freely given or paid for by donations.

Not extorted/stolen and redistributed.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Article XI of the SC Constitution.

SECTION 3. System of free public schools and other public institutions of learning.
    The General Assembly shall provide for the maintenance and support of a system of free public schools open to all children in the State and shall establish, organize and support such other public institutions of learning, as may be desirable.

Georgia Dog, I suggest you write the Superintendent of Education, Molly Spearman, and get a refund.

I should walk away and just shake my head. But considering that you represent us, I'll break it down for you.

The General Assembly doesn't provide anything. Nothing is free. They distribute the tax payer's money.

I have never attended schools in SC. My kids have never attended public schools in SC. But you can bet your ass I am being charged plenty for K5-12 grade.

If you want to have an honest discussion around schools, let's start with the fact that money and resources will never compensate for parents and children that don't care. When I grew up they at least divided the kids up in classes based on grades. But the liberals said that wasn't fair, so now you have a system that is forced to teach to the lowest common denominator.

School vouchers and charter schools work. There isn't a magical teaching formula that these schools have. Sure they have a little more flexibility than public schools who have had their hands tied by years of bureaucratic bullshit. But the main reason these schools work are because the parents and kids in these schools are vested in their kids education. So if you really want to help the kids of South Carolina, you should be looking for a way to help kids and parents rise up and give them more school options. Not continue to throw more good money into a failing system.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 05-23-2017 at 09:13 AM.

My spidey senses tells me it's laundered .gov money to give it the appearance of private investment.

But I'm way more cynical than your average honkey.
    You're picking up what I'm putting down.

I was hoping for bake sales and car washes at the local church.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    I was hoping for bake sales and car washes at the local church.
    Gasp! You mean you want them to actually work & raise the $$$ themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I should walk away and just shake my head. But considering that you represent us, I'll break it down for you.

The General Assembly doesn't provide anything. Nothing is free. They distribute the tax payer's money.

I have never attended schools in SC. My kids have never attended public schools in SC. But you can bet your ass I am being charged plenty for K5-12 grade.

If you want to have an honest discussion around schools, let's start with the fact that money and resources will never compensate for parents and children that don't care. When I grew up they at least divided the kids up in classes based on grades. But the liberals said that wasn't fair, so now you have a system that is forced to teach to the lowest common denominator.

School vouchers and charter schools work. There isn't a magical teaching formula that these schools have. Sure they have a little more flexibility than public schools who have had their hands tied by years of bureaucratic bullshit. But the main reason these schools work are because the parents and kids in these schools are vested in their kids education. So if you really want to help the kids of South Carolina, you should be looking for a way to help kids and parents rise up and give them more school options. Not continue to throw more good money into a failing system.
    Yup. For some reason this country, especially THIS state has always felt that if you put a dumbass with a smart kid, the dumbass will magically become smarter. Well after many years of this terrible experiment, we see that its totally opposite.

I believe its Japan that separates children based on their abilities & points them towards the trade/job that they are best suited for. We always tell our kids, "you can be ANYTHING you want to be"! Probably the biggest lie we ever tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Yup. For some reason this country, especially THIS state has always felt that if you put a dumbass with a smart kid, the dumbass will magically become smarter. Well after many years of this terrible experiment, we see that its totally opposite.

I believe its Japan that separates children based on their abilities & points them towards the trade/job that they are best suited for. We always tell our kids, "you can be ANYTHING you want to be"! Probably the biggest lie we ever tell them.
    Obviously didn't work with politicians either...
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I feel as though this so called promise is racially perverted.

"Panther Promise"

This conjures up ideas of the black panthers.

While it may not be intended to do so what if they called the scholar ship from the lottery was called the Triple K scholarship?

If they named it the Knowledge, Karing, Kommitment program, you recon they would still take the money?
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

And while we're on the Free Education subject...

Wasn't the voluntary tax, er, lottery, supposed to take care of all the poor little Johnny's and Suzy's that weren't smart enough or motivated enough for academic scholarships but doggoneit they're good kids and DESERVE to go to college anyway?

Where's that money?

I mean that's why y'all shut down the competition of the gambling machines wasn't it?

For the chirren?

I'm with Gleen
    Que the Janis Joplin
    "Freedom is just another word"
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Wasn't the voluntary tax, er, lottery, supposed to take care of all the poor little Johnny's and Suzy's that weren't smart enough or motivated enough for academic scholarships but doggoneit they're good kids and DESERVE to go to college anyway?

Where's that money?

I mean that's why y'all shut down the competition of the gambling machines wasn't it?

For the chirren?
    You misunderstood. You are supposed to play your numbers every Friday and when you win you tell everyone this is gonna pay for your babies to go to college.

No, in all seriousness, my understanding is that SC has a hope scholarship. Its a shell of what Zell Miller promised and delivered on in Georgia, but it's modeled after it.

If you graduate from high school with a 3.0 GPA you qualify to have tuition paid for the first year. In Ga, at least when I went through school they paid for up to 4 years (or 120 hours of school) if you maintained a 3.0 GPA every year. I only paid for 2 classes out of pocket, which were actually covered by another scholarship.

But I digress. We need free college!

http://www.che.sc.gov/CHE_Docs/stude...e/q&a_hope.pdf

ETA: Its not tuition for the first year. It's up to $2800 the first year
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 05-23-2017 at 10:17 AM.

About this "teaching to the lowest common denominator," I graduated from one of the worst public school systems in the state, but our classes were always divided up into categories like "general", "college prep" and "honors" or some such designations. As long as you weren't in general (lowest common denominator), you were getting a pretty good education b/c the other kids in your class weren't derelicts. Is that not the case anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    About this "teaching to the lowest common denominator," I graduated from one of the worst public school systems in the state, but our classes were always divided up into categories like "general", "college prep" and "honors" or some such designations. As long as you weren't in general (lowest common denominator), you were getting a pretty good education b/c the other kids in your class weren't derelicts. Is that not the case anymore?
    I believe it's still dependent on the school system/county, but the trend for a number of years has been to put everyone in the same types of classes and do away with vocational tracts in schools. Particularly if a school is audited and found to not meet diversity numbers.

You keep using this word free and it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Free means freely given or paid for by donations.

Not extorted/stolen and redistributed.
    He knows damn well what it means. Like every other politician...

Lest you forget, I was the representative that started the complete defunding of SC State.

This Tec school is doomed to failure. No industry. No students. We voted to remove the board and let the Tec system run it. It will fail.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    Our district is still like that. The AP students live in a different world.

It won't if they had a proper curriculum that coincided with the demand for workers. IE- take the landscape industry- VERY FEW places in this state can you learn any basic knowledge of the green industry but most all of my customers can't find people to drive a lawnmower
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Lest you forget, I was the representative that started the complete defunding of SC State.
    well that totally negates the power of the people that you keep mentioning when it suits you better elsewhere....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    well that totally negates the power of the people that you keep mentioning when it suits you better elsewhere....
    You are a cantankerous foul breath sniffing complainer.

Did I represent your wishes when I voted to completely defund State? The power of the people would have been required to make that vote stick. Who did you contact to support defunding SC State?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Where's that money?

For the chirren?
    That money was taken from what was already given to colleges and then put elsewhere. So Johnny's lottery scholarship simply was a way to repay some of the money colleges used to get. However, if I'm not correct, the scholarship money has remained constant while tuition has continued to rise.

From http://www.acenet.edu/the-presidency...he-bottom.aspx (per $1,000 of state personal income I believe)
    "South Carolina reduced its state investment effort in higher education by 66.8 percent, from $16.72 in fiscal 1980 (and a peak of $18.19 in fiscal 1975) to $5.54 by fiscal 2011. Extrapolating this trend, state funding for higher education will reach zero in 2031."

Clemson will run you about 15k a year, I suspect USC is the same or close. The lottery scholly will cover 5k of that for the year. You can add another 9-10k for room and board, bringing you to about 23-25k/yr, of which Johnny can get 5K leaving a bill of nearly 20k per yr.

You are a cantankerous foul breath sniffing complainer.

Did I represent your wishes when I voted to completely defund State? The power of the people would have been required to make that vote stick. Who did you contact to support defunding SC State?
    So our vote to elect our reps doesn't count? We actually have to vote on each separate issue? I thought that was called a referendum. Or maybe a true democracy. But a representative democracy/republic does not work that way.