Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting the Research

Default Starting the Research

I'm starting to research my next boat. I love my Pioneer for a lot of reasons but we're quickly outgrowing it and the limitations of a small single engine boat. I've started looking to make a move up to a 29-31' CC with twins. Looking for tournament style with no forward seating and an open plan. Dry soft ride, 3 piece construction and good storage.

So far the list has the following:

Southport 292 TE
    Cape Horn 31T
    Yellowfin 29
    Onslow Bay 27 or 33

Looked at the Regulator 31 but damnit they all are forward seating now. I'd love a Freeman but I think they're something like 2-3 years out on a build from what I hear.

What models am I missing? Haven't set a budget yet but I'd like to spend as little as possible naturally.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

33 world cat

I'm ignorant on these bigger boats... Does Sportsman not make anything that'll work for ya?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-20-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I'm ignorant on there bigger boats... Does Sportsman not make anatomy that'll work for ya?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Nothing against them but, I'm going to buy an upper tier CC made for fishing first this time around.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by santeeswamper View Post
    33 world cat
    Don't want forward seating. If I went w/ a FS I'd go Regulator at the top of the list.

Cockpit size is important if you truly want to fish it. I'm not a fan of yellowfin for that reason. Seavee makes a very nice ride with spacious cockpit. Invincible makes a nice one also.

Honestly,You will get a million different opinions on this, and half of those will be from Internet fanboys who don't even own a boat. Your best bet is to try and ride on as many as possible and decide for yourself. Miami boat show is very much worth the trip of you can wait.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Cockpit size is important if you truly want to fish it. I'm not a fan of yellowfin for that reason. Seavee makes a very nice ride with spacious cockpit. Invincible makes a nice one also.

Honestly,You will get a million different opinions on this, and half of those will be from Internet fanboys who don't even own a boat. Your best bet is to try and ride on as many as possible and decide for yourself. Miami boat show is very much worth the trip of you can wait.
    I'm in no hurry but not 3 years out, it's about getting it right this time. I should have added the SeaVee to the list above. I think Invincible has about the same lead time as Freeman but I'll look at them.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 05-20-2017 at 08:55 PM.

I would vote for SeeVee and then YF.Quit drawing on Thursday midday and get some sponsors, then you got it made. also on a side note I didn't realize you hunted with RK, old time G'Town guy I have known for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Oh and I only want white. To hell with trying to keep a dark color or any color that isn't white up.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    I would vote for SeeVee and then YF.Quit drawing on Thursday midday and get some sponsors, then you got it made. also on a side note I didn't realize you hunted with RK, old time G'Town guy I have known for many years.
    Yep, same club.

On my own now, got zero time to sit behind a desk except at night.

Go on ahead and get you a Jarret Bay.
    Last edited by dhall1693; 05-20-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

There is a lot of bullshit out there in terms of people hawking one brand over another. My best advice is ride on as many as you can in rough conditions, talk to the factory and figure out who gives you the best support, and go from there.

Bluewaters have on open layout but I don't really know much about them. Contenders do too but I fished on a 31 one time and it was a wet bastard. Wasn't really even rough.

There is a lot of bullshit out there in terms of people hawking one brand over another. My best advice is ride on as many as you can in rough conditions, talk to the factory and figure out who gives you the best support, and go from there.
    That's the plan. If dealer can't get me a ride on a boat in actual sea conditions and only wants to go for a short harbor cruise, that's not going to work. I don't care about the frilly shit, I want tough, smooth and dry.

I am sure REGULATOR will work with you on what you want and they make a HELL of a CC. Contender will make anything you want but you might have to wait on it. If I had the money I would call the NC company and talk to them. Just sayin. They build the hell outa a boat. Just ride in one VS what you got now and you will agree.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Oh and I only want white. To hell with trying to keep a dark color or any color that isn't white up.
    LOL. I knew that was coming!

Good luck!

Oh, and just curious, why have you not considered Hydra-sport?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You might want to look at albemarle as well. They aren't as popular as some of the other brands. But they build a great fishing platform. And it allows you to do overnights or use it as a family boat when not fishing.

You might want to look at albemarle as well. They aren't as popular as some of the other brands. But they build a great fishing platform. And it allows you to do overnights or use it as a family boat when not fishing.
    He seems to be looking for a high performance center console, not a slug.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    He seems to be looking for a high performance center console, not a slug.
    I would hardly call a albemarle a slug. They haven't joined in the space race to make a boat that runs 90mph. But that is hardly useful when running offshore. Their boats run in the 40's and are dry well built ️️boats for fishing. I'll take that any day over some wet rocket ship that beats me to death in a chop.

My only complaint about an albe is they get a little rolly on a drift.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 05-20-2017 at 10:00 PM.