Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have to say...

Default I have to say...

And I've discussed it with others. This bidness about killing a bird that didn't gobble or gobbled two hours ago or some such thing, y'all can have that.

You may be a better turkey hunter than me, more patient than me, smarter than me, and I'm good with all of that. I hunt turkeys to hear them gobble, and when they don't gobble, I don't hunt them. I may walk miles looking for one gobbling, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit and hope one walks up.

Don't mistake me for someone that isn't thrilled for those of you that can do it, but that ain't me at all. More power to you.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

"I don't hunt gay turkeys" -Michael Boozer
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Preach. I ain't all about the waiting game. If they ain't cooperating on their end, I'm out. I seriously doubt I've ever shot a bird I didn't have pegged down.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

If I had a dollar for every time during a season I said "surely there's one gobbling somewhere on this place", I could buy enough land to make that true
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Ain't nobody got time fer that. -Sugar Brown

You know I'm with you. Damn a silent bird. I love a stupid, hard gobbling turkey and I hunt every day trying to find one. I killed one this season that never gobbled in the 2+ hours that it took me to kill him, but I could see him and he broke into strut every time I called, so he was responding. It was an epic cat and mouse game...and I'm a badass killer cat.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    You know I'm with you. Damn a silent bird. I love a stupid, hard gobbling turkey and I hunt every day trying to find one. I killed one this season that never gobbled in the 2+ hours that it took me to kill him, but I could see him and he broke into strut every time I called, so he was responding. It was an epic cat and mouse game...and I'm a badass killer cat.
    I'm very happy for you Sylvester. While you were pawing at that mouse, I was hunting hot turkeys and drinking Natty Light.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I'm very happy for you Sylvester. While you were pawing at that mouse, I was hunting hot turkeys and drinking Natty Light.
    Yeah, I'm sure. I had to kill that turkey to shake off some bad funk that you put on me after walking 7 miles trying to find a hot turkey. And, I had a Natty Light too.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

They just aint worth killing if they don't gobble.

When I first started turkey hunting I would sit for hours. I once sat 9 hours in the same creek bottom trying to kill a turkey that was using the area. I did kill him just not that day. But back then I had all the free time in the world and still enjoyed that type of hunt.

Could not imagine hunting that way now. Not that I don't want to kill them any less than I did 25 years ago, that's just not a hunt I'm interested in investing time into. I stay on the move until I find a bird gobbling. Don't have time with family/kids and work to sit around wasting time, for a hunt that really does nothing for me.

The last bird I killed on a set up and sit hunt was about 7 years ago. If turkeys didn't gobble I would not hunt them.

I don't like to deer hunt them, but every coupla years or so I find a gobbler in which it becomes personal. When this happens I will do what it takes to
    Make him dead.
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

the longer i hunt, the more impatient i have become. i find myself now wanting to move constantly on a gobbling turkey until i either bust him, or am 100% confident that im in the best position i can get in. sometimes it means moving 30 yards, sometimes its backing out and circling all the way around him, sometimes its just moving up one more tree to get a better shot if he comes in. ive never had the patients to sit and wait on a turkey that i dont know is there. i mind fuck myself too much for that. i can watch one in a field for hours. even if i know i have no chance of killing him. just as long as i can see him.

ive said it 1000 times---- the reason i like to turkey hunt so much is because its NOT deer hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure. I had to kill that turkey to shake off some bad funk that you put on me after walking 7 miles trying to find a hot turkey. And, I had a Natty Light too.
    Y'all drink some nasty beer.

I kilt one this year that didn't gobble. Didn't waste any time on him though. It was quick. Ain't that right, Feets?

I keep comfortable boots for turkey hunting cause I know I'm gonna be walking. A lot. I could have killed 3x the turkeys I have if I was more patient, but I would have had 1/3 of the fun.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    I don't like to deer hunt them, but every coupla years or so I find a gobbler in which it becomes personal. When this happens I will do what it takes to
    Make him dead.
    X2

I find no joy in just sitting there calling to nothing, but there is something very special about killing the silent ninja that materializes out of nowhere when working a different bird.

Those sneaky fucks can rot in hell.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Red Huck View Post
    Y'all drink some nasty beer.
    While I totally agree, at least it's not Bud Light.

I drink Bud light.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

After kill beers (in order)

1. Kokanee
    2. Natty light (#1 if not in Kokanee country)
    3. Everything else
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Y'all missing out.

Champagne is where it's at....
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....