Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying guns out of state

You can ship whatever AR part you want, anywhere in the USA you want, as long as it is not a serialized lower - stripped, or not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Any non class 3 gun part can be shipped besides the serialized part within an action or lower. FYI I was pretty shocked at how well the ATF website answered all the questions in very plain English
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Jeez, y'all make shit hard.
    You can buy a long gun from an ffl out of state (in person) walk out the store and bring it home. The bordering states thing is a myth.
    Pistol- must be shipped to an ffl in your state of residence. You can buy it in NC, but they have to ship it to an ffl in SC(if you live in SC).
    No one can ship a purchased gun to a non ffl address.

All of the above applies only to the part that has a serial number on it. Any non serialized gun part can be shipped at will.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    You presume wrong. I was thinking long guns of the non-black persuasion. Guess I shoulda specified.

I'm not a "black gun guy" so I've never messed with shipping that stuff, but I can imagine all the red tape involved. So I now understand it's bad to ship AR parts she "guns" according to the ATF link Griffin posted, but just out of curiosity, does that apply to handguns as well? Could one simply separate the slide/barrel from the frame/magazine and ship?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That is why I included all 3 long gun variants, including a bolt gun 700 Rem. I figured no need to include what the part on a mini gun that you needed to be concerned with when shipping one.

Pistols get into some grey areas. "Frames" are the serialized part of pistols.......but. This can get tricky in a hurry.

A revolver? The "J" portion of the frame with the serial number.

A 1911? The portion of the fire arm you hold and stick you finger through the trigger guard at. Generally referred to as "the frame" has a serial number and is the fire arm.

A Glock and some others have serialized parts all over them??? Slides, Frames, an in one instances trigger mechanisms. Well, the ATF has said that the "frame" like the 1911 is the actual firearm when talking about a Glock. But Glocks more so than many other firearms end up in Europe & other places in the world where the "slide" is the fire arm. That is why both are serialized. But as far as laws that govern us the "frame" or lower portion of the Glock is the fire arm.

But here is a weird one for you. A Ruger Mark series has a "frame" but it isn't the serialized part. The upper/tube that the barrel threads into much like a remington 700 action is the "fire arm"

My advice. Each individual pistol should be handled on a case by case basis. In the eyes of the law pistols typically hold a greater "evil factor" mainly due to hollywood in my opinion, but none the less pistols as a rule of thumb have many other laws that come with them as compared to long guns.

If you have any questions at all just send said item to a FFL holder.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    Jeez, y'all make shit hard.
    You can buy a long gun from an ffl out of state (in person) walk out the store and bring it home. The bordering states thing is a myth.
    Pistol- must be shipped to an ffl in your state of residence. You can buy it in NC, but they have to ship it to an ffl in SC(if you live in SC).
    No one can ship a purchased gun to a non ffl address.

All of the above applies only to the part that has a serial number on it. Any non serialized gun part can be shipped at will.
    Actually you are incorrect.

A gun can be shipped to a non-FFL address. Said gun can only be dispositioned from a posted licensees posted FFL address. But this only applies to FFL holders.

I know what you meant, but I am correcting your line about "no one"

Any of the big name stores will ship boxes of guns to where ever you want them to go as long as they have a FFL on file. The guns do not have to go to the listed premises, but they can only be dispositioned from said premises.

And you are correct about walking out of a out of state store, as I pointed out on page 1...assuming that state does't have any funky laws prohibiting you. But that is a state to state reg. SC has non.
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 05-21-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Compared to the misinformation previously posted, I was close enough.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

True.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

I tried to buy a shotgun at a Bass Pro Shops in Florida and was told no. I thought they were wrong, but I didn't feel like arguing about it.