Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying guns out of state

Default Buying guns out of state

Just needed some insight on this. I read a little bit about it but becomes very confusing when it comes to state vs federal laws. I assume the best option is just to ship it to a FFL dealer but don't want to worry about the shipping and transfer. Is there a difference between online buying or if I go to the store in person and purchase it there?

My understanding is that you will have to go through an FFL. Whether that is in person of when it is shipped.

It's pretty easy to do a transfer. Call your local gun store and ask them if they do it. I think I paid $25 last time (but have heard of people doing it cheaper). Once it was ordered I sent the seller the information. They called me when it was ready and I walked out the door 15 minutes later.

You can go buy long guns out of state from a dealer. Handguns will require the gun to be shipped to a FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    You can go buy long guns out of state from a dealer. Handguns will require the gun to be shipped to a FFL.
    Only long guns in a bordering state touching ours.

Almost any dealer won't send to your door, anyways, and will insist on sending it only to your FFL in order to cover their ass.

I've bought literally dozens online and have never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post

Idk about that. I havent personally, but have been with a buddy that has bought multiple guns from an outdoor store in Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Idk about that. I havent personally, but have been with a buddy that has bought multiple guns from an outdoor store in Alabama.
    And he walked out with them there, or had them shipped to his FFL?

He has walked out with them and twice ive had to carry one because hes bought multiple.

If you buy a long gun in person from the another state assuming that state has no funky laws you can purchase it.

If you buy it on line it has to come through a SC FFL or mail order.

Either situation requires it goes through a SC FFL for a pistol.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

He has walked out with them and twice ive had to carry one because hes bought multiple.
    Odd. OK.

I didn't know that was legal.

My only personal experience of buying out of state has been a pistol that had to be shipped back to SC, and a rifle I carried back myself. However, both of those were done in a bordering state (NC).

I thought there was a law preventing buying in other states. Maybe something changed, or maybe I am incorrect?

I watched a friend of mine buy a Benelli, Beretta O/U, and a Weatherby rifle from Macks Prarie wings, and walk out with all three a 1/2 hr later...

Odd. OK.

I didn't know that was legal.

My only personal experience of buying out of state has been a pistol that had to be shipped back to SC, and a rifle I carried back myself. However, both of those were done in a bordering state (NC).

I thought there was a law preventing buying in other states. Maybe something changed, or maybe I am incorrect?

I'm positive you can do it.

You can do the pistols if you have a FFL. It is just like having it shipped back to the FFL.

I know some friends whom on several occasions have snookered a FFL holder into a ride out of state under false pretense only to learn he was there to get the pistol an bring it back to SC where he then he could do all the paper work and dispose of the pistol to them that day!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Well, if you have a FFL, your options are nearly limitless (depending upon class).

It would be in your best interest to ship to a ffl holder and then do the paperwork.

If buying from a private party just have em ship the receiver and barrel separately, then they're shipping "gun parts." Otherwise, just use an FFL and be done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Almost any dealer won't send to your door, anyways, and will insist on sending it only to your FFL in order to cover their ass.

I've bought literally dozens online and have never had a problem.

I swear you say shit that is so fucking stupid that I think it's a joke but then you attempt to back up your bullshit with more moondickery
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I swear you say shit that is so fucking stupid that I think it's a joke but then you attempt to back up your bullshit with more moondickery
    WTFever.

Most Gunbroker and GunsAmerica FFL and nonFFL-holders will only mail to a FFL even if it is a legal transaction in a bordering state.

Why don't you back up this shit you so vehemently spew?

Ok
    1. Mailing any gun without and FFL across state lines is illegal www.atf.gov look it up
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    If buying from a private party just have em ship the receiver and barrel separately, then they're shipping "gun parts." Otherwise, just use an FFL and be done.

I would prefer you stay on this side of the bars so I have someone to argue over impoundments with!

That will get you a ticket to club fed if caught.

In the case of a AR style rifle, which I presume you are referring to, when you say ship them separately is a violation of federal law.

Do you have to fill out a 4473 for that lower? Yes.

That means it is considered a firearm by it's self. You can not ship it in pieces to a individual across state lines.

You can send the upper all day or the parts in the lower, but not the lower.

But lets assume you were talking about splitting a SCAR and shipping it "separate" for the sake of argument.

The upper receiver on a SCAR is considered the fire arm. Not the barrel, but the upper receiver. You can not send the upper to a individual across state lines who does not posses a FFL.

Lets use a Remington 700 for example.

You can not separate the stock from the action and barrel and legally send the action an barrel across state line. Now if you separate the barrel from the action you can send the barrel and the stock, but not the action.

I can go on and on, but shipping any item that has to have a 4473 filled out on it is very bad advice. Can you get away with it? Probably. Are you breaking the law? Definitely!
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 05-21-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

I've walked out of stores in Arkansas and Minnesotta with shotguns I purchased that day.

You presume wrong. I was thinking long guns of the non-black persuasion. Guess I shoulda specified.

I'm not a "black gun guy" so I've never messed with shipping that stuff, but I can imagine all the red tape involved. So I now understand it's bad to ship AR parts she "guns" according to the ATF link Griffin posted, but just out of curiosity, does that apply to handguns as well? Could one simply separate the slide/barrel from the frame/magazine and ship?

Last edited by willyworm; 05-21-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft