Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fawn

I'm sure based off your comments you know the fawn is "left" for good, but do you know why the mother leaves the fawn between feedings an grooming?

Fawns have 2 major defense mechanisms.

The first is fairly obvious. Its camouflage allows it to hide in a more wide assortment of areas than its full grown mother.

The second and usually mistaken (but shows you the mother knows exactly where the fawn is) fawns have little to no natural odors, nor do they emit any. It is usually pointed out that the older more mature mother has a stronger odor than the fawn an while this is true it is often overlooked that the fawn for the first 2-3 weeks of life does not have a noticeable odor of any kind a predator could "track"

This in its self should show that the mother isn't "loosing" the fawn. If the mother gets chased by a wild pack of dogs or what ever over her several miles she will come right back to the spot he left jr if no human has moved jr, jr will come to momma when she arrives.

I asked about the browsing. It seems odd the mother would bed the fawn down in such a manicured yard unless she feeds there regularly. I was thinking maybe on the edge an the fawn wondered into the yard for some more direct sun? a few feet at most.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

cuz they stink
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

damn yall are bored

2th-Said "looks to be about two days old" because in the video fawn was still having trouble navigating.

^
    sorry. thought that was led, too.

I didnt mean to pick on you.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    2th-Said "looks to be about two days old" because in the video fawn was still having trouble navigating.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    ^
    sorry. thought that was led, too.

I didnt mean to pick on you.
    Toof was the only one that mentioned an age in the thread besides the feller that saw one running across his food plot in Feb.

Genesis 9;2