Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: popcorn ceiling

Default popcorn ceiling

I need some popcorn ceilings scraped and painted. What's it cost per sq ft theses days. I'll be supplying the paint.
    Ballentine/Irmo area if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 05-10-2017 at 09:05 PM.

We saved a ton by doing it this way. I hadn't seen any kind of video before we did it, just had a buddy explain it to me.

^ That's a pretty good display of redneck ingenuity. I have never done it in my house, but I helped a buddy on his. After it was finally finished, we both said we would never do it again. Have fun.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Do yourself a favor and buy 1/4" drywall and overlay. 10x easier and a lot less mess. I haven't quoted it in a while, but the last time around, there wasn't a big difference between the two options. One other tidbit of info, depending on how the joints were prepped you may have to mud and sand after you scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMills View Post
    Do yourself a favor and buy 1/4" drywall and overlay. 10x easier and a lot less mess. I haven't quoted it in a while, but the last time around, there wasn't a big difference between the two options. One other tidbit of info, depending on how the joints were prepped you may have to mud and sand after you scrap.
    This. You will have to skim coat for sure. Your drywall will look like Fido's ass when you get it off.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

It's gonna be a scrape, repair, mud and sand till smooth, then painted. I'll supply the paint.
    I dont need to watch a video. I'm writing a check to have it done.
    What's the approx cost per sq ft to do as described?

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    It's gonna be a scrape, repair, mud and sand till smooth, then painted. I'll supply the paint.

'Merica

It depends on if this is side work by a guy or an owner of a company that is sending one of his guys out there to do the work with the owner making a profit while paying the worker.

There are different ways to scrape. Some ceilings needs more patching after scraping. I'd say on the high end, you're looking at $.50/sf to have it scrape/finished(excluding prime/paint).

If you're ready to stroke the check, get some quotes and see who you feel most comfortable with. Business is booming and people will price high to see if people will bite.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

You should be paying about $2 a foot to have it scraped, skimmed, primed and painted if you're supplying the paint and moving the furniture out.

Get the ceiling tested for Asbestos first. They have do-it-yourself kits, but you may want to get a lab tech in there before a contractor. Some popcorn ceilings from the 1960s to the 1980s had Asbestos. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but better safe than sorry. Mesothelioma is a death sentence.
    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." - Jack Nicholson

Fuck out of here that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Fuck out of here that shit.
    Agreed.

And I assume there's a reason you're going through all this trouble besides just aesthetics. Why kick this bees nest if you don't HAVE to?

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    It depends on if this is side work by a guy or an owner of a company that is sending one of his guys out there to do the work with the owner making a profit while paying the worker.

There are different ways to scrape. Some ceilings needs more patching after scraping. I'd say on the high end, you're looking at $.50/sf to have it scrape/finished(excluding prime/paint).

If you're ready to stroke the check, get some quotes and see who you feel most comfortable with. Business is booming and people will price high to see if people will bite.
    You're way low.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    You should be paying about $2 a foot to have it scraped, skimmed, primed and painted if you're supplying the paint and moving the furniture out.
    That's about right, maybe $0.25/sf either way. More if it's a small area. I'd do it T & M plus percentage.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

every once in a while we have to scrape and spray a ceiling as part of a skylight job.

I hate it with a passion, thankfully we don't have to do it very often.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post

A house I just bought has popcorn ceilings throughout that will be coming down ..... I'd sign a check this second if someone would do it for $.50/sqft.

Unfortunately, I'll be scraping popcorn this weekend, and a lot of weekends to follow, until the house we live in now sells.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Here in Charleston the cheapest quote was $2500 on a 1900sqft house.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

When we moved into my current house 4 years ago it had popcorn ceilings. My wife wanted them gone. I scraped two bedrooms and it sucked. When scraping them it made cuts and gouges. I knew I was going to have to get someone other than me to finish them. I searched around and found a guy that did it on the side. He worked for a company that put in sheetrock. He told me to not scrape anymore of the rooms because he could do it faster and it would be less work on him finishing them because he was better at scraping them. He did my whole house upstairs and downstairs for 1800. The house is 2400 square feet. I would recommend a professional. You have to look really hard to find that it was not originally smooth. I will say this we got lucky and did it before we moved in and tore all the carpet up. It will get everywhere. I would hate to be living in the house while it is going on.

Also, it rarely came off as smooth as it did in that video posted above. You have to wet it and really scrape in certain areas. Especially around vents in the ceiling.
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 05-11-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Whys this in the flood auction sub forum?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    You're way low.

I'm a good negotiator and have good contacts for people that do it day in and day out, just not in SC.

That's about right, maybe $0.25/sf either way. More if it's a small area. I'd do it T & M plus percentage.
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    A house I just bought has popcorn ceilings throughout that will be coming down ..... I'd sign a check this second if someone would do it for $.50/sqft.

Unfortunately, I'll be scraping popcorn this weekend, and a lot of weekends to follow, until the house we live in now sells.
    Definitely do the whole house before you move in. The guy that did ours used a tank sprayer to spray the ceiling. That kept the dust down a ton. He let it all fall to the floor and then wrapped it up in the plastic he had laid out.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Lotta work.
    Good luck wif dat.
    William Gettys Smart
    1830-1906
    Company A
    49th NC Infantry
    CSA

Remember....

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=12958647