Thread: My First Bird Gun

Default My First Bird Gun

I'm sure my interest in the outdoors began in a similar fashion as most of you. My first hunting memories were as a 5 or 6 year old with my dad in the dove field, holding my toy shotgun, picking cuckleburrs off my pants, and retrieving doves in the sunflowers. The toy shotgun soon turned into a Red Ryder, and then, when I was about 9, my dad brought out the shotgun my mom's father had left for me, a 20 ga Remington 1100. He started teaching me to shoot a few weeks before dove season and on the first hunt of the season I was allowed to shoot for the first time. I don't remember if I even killed a dove, but I remember holding that shotgun and waiting for my chance.

Little did I know, those hunts and that shotgun spurred a passion for bird hunting that I know will last my lifetime. I've gotten to the point where my enjoyment comes from the process of the hunt and not just the harvest. Part of that process is reflecting on hunts of the past and incorporating parts of those hunts into hunts of today. Even though I have several 12 ga shotguns, I still love to bring that old 1100 out on quite a few hunts.

Years ago my dad refinished his 1100 with linseed oil. I loved the darker, more matte look that his gun had and promised myself that someday I would take the time to refinish mine the same way. Finally, I decided I wanted to get it done and have it ready for this fall. I know this might seem a little long-winded, but I'm sure many of you can relate to the passion I have for bird hunting and I wanted to share this special gun that fueled the fire.

Before(has the original Remington poly finish)

Stock sanded down

Finished stock

All back together

Looks good man congrats.

Cool deal

Looks great
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

That looks like booty. A matte finished stock on a glossy blued barrel/receiver does not match. I like the dark finish but put some damn shine on there! Gotta make that walnut pop!!!!
    Last edited by Cottontop74; 05-08-2017 at 03:56 PM.

lmao @ CT

Looks good man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    That looks like booty. A matte finished stock on a glossy blued barrel/receiver does not match. I like the dark finish but put some damn shine on there! Gotta make that walnut pop!!!!
    It's just that fresh coat of oil on the gun throwing you off. It's got quite the patina of a well used 1964 gun, so a glossy finish would look worse than crap. The good thing about it is if I ever get it reblued I can put a coat of poly on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all your memories sound stupid and boring

In fact you didn't even talk about your granddads dick

Second of all, c-top is right about making your walnut pop.

Sportin got a thing for c-top now?

and dicks
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Here is a pro tip for others looking to refinish a gloss gun.....dont sand or strip it down. Just use 000 steel wool. It will knock the shine off in about 10 minutes...and you get to keep that super tough Remington "bowling pin" finish. If you want to bring out the shine again just use 0000 steel wool. Learned that tip many years ago from Owen Jeffery.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

yuck