Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optics opinion?

Default Optics opinion?

So I am on the search for a new scope for my hunting rifle. The more I look at scope reviews the more confused I become. What makes a good scope good? Basically what makes a scope good in low light conditions? What makes it clear when you dial the magnification down? Learn me something.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Nightforce..close thread
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Budget is biggest question.

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    Nightforce..close thread
    If you can swing it it's a solid option.

I obviously have a budget, but that's not my question. What makes "night force" good? What makes any scope good? Other than price what makes scopes better?

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

Objective diameter, glass quality and coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    I obviously have a budget, but that's not my question. What makes "night force" good? What makes any scope good? Other than price what makes scopes better?
    Quality of the mechanics, the precision to which the lenses are ground, the coatings, and even the consistency of the housing/tube. Most non-Euro scope manufacturers source their lenses from Light Optical Works (LOW). From budget to extremely high end scopes such as the NF, they make the glass. The scope manufacturer will apply their own coatings and mechanics. In the Euro brands, Meopta and Carl Ziess manufacture a large portion of the glass for the rest, Docter does the rest. Tube diameter doesn't help in light gathering. Objective diameter does though. However a low end scope with a huge objective isn't going to be nearly as clear or bright as a premium scope with a smaller objective and better glass coatings

You usually get what you pay for in the optics realm. The issue is where does the price start to yield diminishing returns for you. I like my NF scopes, but my Trijicon is better in low light and my Khales is better still.

I'll try to dig up the old article I had on this stuff. Had it in my favorites about 3 computers and jobs ago.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 05-06-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Thanks salty! That's what I'm looking for.

What salty wrote is correct!

I'm impressed not everyone knows about LOW!!!

That is cool man! I've had many a discussion revolving around that an this glass is better than this, and you tell the guy it came from the same place an he goes, HUH? Noway...My super dooper whack a mole glass in my scope was made by the abc company not some place in Japan.

I will add look at S&B and US Optics
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Also, remember that clarity trumps magnification any day of the week. Shitty 20+ power scopes are still shitty scopes just with more distortion.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

You can't shoot what you can't see!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

So what makes a scope clear? Coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    Budget is biggest question.
    Vortex.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hunting scopes buy German. Shooting Nightforce.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    So what makes a scope clear? Coatings?
    Glass quality, clarity and finishing then the coatings. Housing, alignment, mechanics. It all works together. Think of it this way, you can buy a 15yo Hyundai that runs ok, leaks oil and wobbles above 50, it'll still get you there but you know it'll break down, not if but when. Or, you can buy a Bugatti which has the finest of everything. It'll still break down but the chances are lower and you've got one helluva piece of equipment. There's a whole lot of options in between, they do the same thing and work but which one works best for you and your intended use.

Here's a decent read on scopes.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/straight_scope.htm

Thanks salt!

Awesome read! Thanks Mark!

I just bought a Trijicon Accupoint 30 mm 2.5 x 10 x 56 with mil dot and green dot center for $803 new from optics planet- tritium powered- you set your dot brightness and it automatically glows as the light gets dim- no batteries to die or corrode.

I have shot a Bushnell 3x9x40 lite sight red dot since they first came out and that dot has brought home a good number of deer when I couldn't see the crosshairs- 2 years ago sitting in a stand with my wife she couldn't see the crosshairs on a big doe through her Nikon but made the shot with the red dot. The red dot is on a 30-30.

The new scope will replace a Leopold VX3 3.5 x 12 x 50 on my Weatherby 30-06.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Here's a decent read on scopes.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/straight_scope.htm
    good read

So what about tube size? 1" vs 30mm?