Thread: Anybody read... Grain Brain?

Default Anybody read... Grain Brain?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 05-02-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

good ol dr permutter?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Heard him on a podcast. I'd imagine the non running, vegan health and wellness crowd doesn't subscribe to his theories?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I wouldn't know.

But I always liked his delivery. Granted, he is one that considered whole grains "healthy" but then wrote this book. A meta-analysis of current data would make more sense than just choosing studies that support your theory. but, hey, arent you the guy that crunches numbers for a living?

I wont bore you with medical jargon, and you already know my opinion of ADHD....so maybe you can dig deeper and understand my disdain for dementia and, more specifically, alzheimers, as it relates to diet and heredity. These are very important issues to me. My brother, whom I respect bc he actually DOES read these books and studies health and wellness for a living, keeps me informed.

I would love for the two of you to chat. He will beat you up with numbers and statistics. If you are still in the "paleo fatty meat eating crowd" (sorry, trying to find a low blow like you did but that was the best I could come up with), he will prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that meat is not a necessary dietary component and those that lead LONGER, CANCER FREE lives can prove it.

So, yes, even though you like to come on here and piss and moan about the pissing and moaning, buy yourself a mirror and dont be afraid of opinions that differ from the ones you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I wouldn't know.

But I always liked his delivery. Granted, he is one that considered whole grains "healthy" but then wrote this book. A meta-analysis of current data would make more sense than just choosing studies that support your theory. but, hey, arent you the guy that crunches numbers for a living?

I wont bore you with medical jargon, and you already know my opinion of ADHD....so maybe you can dig deeper and understand my disdain for dementia and, more specifically, alzheimers, as it relates to diet and heredity. These are very important issues to me. My brother, whom I respect bc he actually DOES read these books and studies health and wellness for a living, keeps me informed.

I would love for the two of you to chat. He will beat you up with numbers and statistics. If you are still in the "paleo fatty meat eating crowd" (sorry, trying to find a low blow like you did but that was the best I could come up with), he will prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that meat is not a necessary dietary component and those that lead LONGER, CANCER FREE lives can prove it.

So, yes, even though you like to come on here and piss and moan about the pissing and moaning, buy yourself a mirror and dont be afraid of opinions that differ from the ones you want to hear.
    You're cute, Tooth. I think we have common motivations. Would love to hear what your bro has to say. I'm really just re-engaging with this stuff after a drought and I'm pretty surprised at the research that's happening in this space and the theories around diet impact on brain health.

Rubberhead

Grains make you retarded. A guy at Crossfit told me so.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    You're cute, Tooth. I think we have common motivations. Would love to hear what your bro has to say. I'm really just re-engaging with this stuff after a drought and I'm pretty surprised at the research that's happening in this space and the theories around diet impact on brain health.
    you seem right stuck in your ideologies so if that's what makes me so cute, I'll take it.

Some of the best crossfitters never eat bread and you'll know that they never eat bread within the first 10 seconds of any conversation you have with them.

Example
    At a funeral visitation "im sorry for your loss, at least your father isn't in pain anymo...re....I never eat bread"

I haven't read it. Maybe next time I pay a grumpapotomus to brush my teeth it'll be mixed in with the the 3 year old Highlights and 5 year old sports illustrated in the magazine rack and I can flip through it while I wait an hour past my appointment time.

Zing!
    Last edited by Glenn; 05-03-2017 at 08:57 PM.

I haven't read this one. Just finished Robb Wolf's new one "Wired To Eat" and enjoyed it.

There are quite a few studies and new findings around ketogenic diets and brain health as it relates to trauma and disease. But I haven't had time to read any of them. Smarter people than I seem to see some legitimacy in it though.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I get Garden and Gun at my office.

and Nat Geo.

Both are current.

I still stand behind current medical literature that a whole food, plant based diet is correct....especially for reversal of cardiac disease. Studying evolution and considering fatty meats as a "healthy" choice is just not supported in my research.

I'm a meateterian.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I get Garden and Gun at my office.

and Nat Geo.

Both are current.

I still stand behind current medical literature that a whole food, plant based diet is correct....especially for reversal of cardiac disease. Studying evolution and considering fatty meats as a "healthy" choice is just not supported in my research.
    You also held pretty tight to that lipid hypothesis that's made our society much sicker over the last 30 years.

I've never read Grain Brain. I've never been to a Crossfit gym.

Grain Brain is a NYT bestseller so I figured if any duckers that were experimenting with a keto protocol would more likely have read this than dr. dominic d'agostino's research summaries.

Glennda, if you'd back off on the Miller High Life and White Lilly flour you wouldn't get dirty teeth and have to read Toofer's outdated magazines.

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Grains make you retarded. A guy at Crossfit told me so.
    How many smart crossfit guys do you know???
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    How many smart crossfit guys do you know???
    Don't answer that! It's a trick question!

I'm pretty sure all the granola gurus say to eat fresh foods with vibrant colors. That's why I eat red meat. It's red, not white like chicken breast. Same reason you should put some cayenne or paprika in your cornmeal or flour when frying pork chops, etc. It's all about the vibrant colors for good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You also held pretty tight to that lipid hypothesis that's made our society much sicker over the last 30 years.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stripa said the same thing to me but that is not true.