Thread: Sideknife/plier recommendations

Default Sideknife/plier recommendations

Offshore guys,
    Never been one to wear a tool on me offshore, always just had a boat set in the back of the leaning post. I'm looking to switch things up and I'm looking for a possibly a plier/small knife setup that isn't cumbersome to wear all day. What are you guys using? Other ideas?

Seems that just plier/sheath sets are a dime a dozen, but feel like I havnt seen what I'm looking for yet. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cast and Blast 17 w/ Opti power

I picked a pair of these up the other week and have really enjoyed them. What I liked most about them is they had crimpers where most others I've seen don't.
    https://www.bubbablade.com/products/...fishing-pliers

I have a pair of Van Staal's that have held up very well for the last 7-8 years. Went through numerous pairs of Kroks/Manley etc. Bought an inexpensive pair(relatively speaking) of Donmars and then was given the VS as a gift shortly thereafter. Spend some decent money and get a good pair with lanyard. Good pair will cut 400# mono clean and 7strand back to back. VS and Donmars have replaceable cutters. Get long nose instead of stubbies.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 05-02-2017 at 08:36 AM.

This is the one I have and use http://www.meltontackle.com/products...ife-combo.html . I've had it now for a couple of years, the sheath that is, and anything that last that long in the offshore environment is about as good as it gets. The sheath is high quality leather and has a stainless belt clip. I like the Manley pliers that are made for it, they have a really good line/wire cutter, but be warned, like anything else they will rust. Since i'm not going to shell out $300+ for titanium pliers I just buy new pliers every so often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I have a pair of Van Staal's that have held up very well for the last 7-8 years. Went through numerous pairs of Kroks/Manley etc. Bought an inexpensive pair(relatively speaking) of Donmars and then was given the VS as a gift shortly thereafter. Spend some decent money and get a good pair with lanyard. Good pair will cut 400# mono clean and 7strand back to back. VS and Donmars have replaceable cutters. Get long nose instead of stubbies.
    I have yet to use a pair of pliers with replaceable cutters that cut heavy mono clean. However like I said I've never used VS or Donmars. For clean cuts on heavy mono, so I can slide crimps through easily, I really like these https://www.westmarine.com/buy/black...7?recordNum=21 . Good thing is they have a lifetime warranty, but i'm yet to have to get mine replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

That's a really long tuna congrats.

http://www.meltontackle.com/products...la-pliers.html

I use those and keep a Benchmade on me, too. I want the saltwater SpyderCo knife to replace the auto Benchmade, but I've yet to pull the trigger.

I do, however really like that combo set above. I could just go that route and kill 2 birds.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I second the Manley combo as well, although depending on the situation i'll swap out the knife for a release knife.