Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Garden Thread

Sprig. Learn me the asparagus and Brussels.

It takes a couple years to start, bulbs. You let them grow up and trim the dead back for the first couple. One of my old neighbors at the lake, huge Gardner, had a sizable bed. I want to establish one here.

Two tomato plants and one parsley for my garden! Don't want to overdo it.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

asparagus is a perinneal(sp?) yhat goes for years and years. you can get seed for cheap and start them but none should be harvested for the first 3 years. when the shoots(what you buy at The Pig) grow out they become ferns. those ferns photosynthesize, hence feeding the rootstock for the next year. that is why you dont harvest for the first few years, you are establishing the root system for the future. after the third year you can harvest a few spears from each root, making sure they are about the size of a pencil or larger. any smaller than that you let grow into ferns. Asparagus lives up to 20years or so, and their root system grows deep and wide. they are heavy feeders and i keep mine mulched wit leaves and wood chips and fertilize twice a year... early spring and mid fall. Also a good note, its one of, if not the, first veggie to produce in the spring and it is full of nutrition, bringing alot of vitamins and minerals up from their roots deep in the soil.

Whew.

Brussels Sprouts... brassica family very similar to a cabbage. them guys are aggrevating. plant them in the fall about mid-late september. usually have to start your own seed. nitrogen hogs and need the best winter sun you can give them. mine did fine without frost protection, here in the lowcountry. as spring is approaching you will notice the sprout bulbs at the base of each leaf. i am not sure exactly when, but you break the lower leaves off every week or so exposing the sprouts to the wide open until you get to the top 5-8 leaves. those need to stay on the plant for photosynthesis and the plants' health. in the next two weeks or so i will be harvesting my sprouts. they look ugly(like a 3' walking stick with mini green golf balls going down the sides like a candy cane. but of course the plant's stalk/trunk is not straight up verticle, they are somewhat curved from being grown densely in my beds.

EDIT to ADD: buy asparagus root crowns for a head start, 3yo crowns will produce in the first spring, but you still dont want to harvest though. lets the root system get established.
    Last edited by DoubleSprig; 05-01-2017 at 06:59 PM.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Wow. Thanks for the detailed version. I'm sure others will appreciate it as much as me.

my asparagus is just now putting out well. third year. you wont get any good shoots first couple. just the fernlike things he talks about...

I have at least 30 tomatoes and a few watermelon, cantaloupes, and cucumbers. Probably a dozen or so mixed peppers (jalapeno, red, yellow, green).
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

What size asparagus beds for a family of 3-4?

I bet I got mine in an area no bigger than 2x4ft.

I've got me some new ideas already.

Keep 'em coming!

Good thread.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Has anyone used the earthbox or nobrainer planter for tomatoes or anything else?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Gonna plant some Ring of Fire sunflowers and zinnias this afternoon with my little one.

them some healthy lookin taters and onions HS

How high is your fence HuntinAce and how far apart are your poles? Thanks and I got to re-do ours
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

looks like 4ft cattle fence at 6ft spacing

Damn deer got over 4' like it ain't even there.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

tis true....but thats still a 4ft fence. maybe he has really short deer that cant jump for shit