Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2017 Garden Thread

SChightide, what varieties are those?
    Last edited by LC17; 05-25-2017 at 06:36 AM.

Mine is a total lose. Wind and tree tops took mine out yesterday.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

That is a variety trial so there 22 varieties in there. Ones that I would recommend for gardens for the fall growing season (plant by July 1) are Grand Marshall, Camaro, SV7631, Red Morning. For spring production SV 7631, Red Morning, Dixie Red, BHN 602, Amelia, Crista, Bella Rosa.
    "It's a numbers game" - Mac Owen
    Endangered: Farmers, Watermen, and Rural Life

Didn't intentionally plant pumpkins. I threw an old one out in the garden spot last year and used it for target practice with the pistol.
    Several vines came up and are doing well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

schightide, is there anything out there that won't get septoria leaf spot so bad? I'm eat up with it this year on all varieties I planted. Should have started the chlorothalonil before it got bad, but I think I have it under control now.
    Last edited by WNM; 07-07-2017 at 09:36 AM.

No, you just have to rely on fungicides. One plants get about knee high just start a weekly fungicide program. They usually have enough canopy at that point to trap enough moisture to be a problem.
    "It's a numbers game" - Mac Owen
    Endangered: Farmers, Watermen, and Rural Life

My wife just called me at work to tell me that there is a massive swarm of Japanese Beetles in the yard. Anyone else witnessed any swarming this year? MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Where do you guys get your seeds from? Also, is there anything you are currently planting?

Did not get the first tomato. Tornado got it all. Tried to replant but the heat hit um and the few I had getting ready the damn dead squirrels got them. Last meal. Planting squash and mustard greens in the morning
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    Where do you guys get your seeds from? Also, is there anything you are currently planting?
    About to plant some broccoli, brussell sprouts and carrots. Will be my first time planting all three. I haven't traditionally planted a fall garden.

DrDuck, what kind of squash are you planting?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    Pumpkins went in about a month ago. Collards, spaghetti squash, carrots, broccoli and cabbage will go in the ground in the next week or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynchmob View Post
    About to plant some broccoli, brussell sprouts and carrots. Will be my first time planting all three. I haven't traditionally planted a fall garden.
    I know ZERO about this stuff, but being in a new house, I have a big deck (at least that is what my wife tells me). I want to put some planters and start some "urban gardening". I tried some of these Jiffy Greenhouse kits:

https://www.amazon.com/Ferry-morse-5.../dp/B000RND2EG

But only like 1 of my experiments sprouted. It's been about 3 weeks.

It may be worth considering some raised beds as well. For most stuff, you're going to want as much direct sunlight as possible. I typically buy Bonnie starter plants or seeds at the local garden store.

What are the easiest starter seeds for fruits\vegetables for this area (Charleston)? I've been told that I am a "mouth breathing moron", so I need some plants that are fairly dummy proof.
    Last edited by jasonw; 08-02-2017 at 02:13 PM.

carrots, beans/peas, and beets are pretty dummy proof, you moron.
    Besides those, i have a hard time seed starting.

About 90% of the veggies i plant in ground get burnt up in the heat shortly after germinating. Course i do not have an indoor lighting system which would help get them past the germination stage. Because of this i plant seeds in the ground extra thickly with extra close spacing. This fall i will be planting Collards, Kale, Chard, Spinach, Sugar Snap Peas, and Carrots. all in raised beds.
    No irrigation either, which would help if i spent the money on it.

FWIW i have found that Cabbage, Heading Lettuce, Brussels, Broccoli/Cauli are not worth the real estate in my beds. They occupy alot of area - for a long time - and yield very little results for the effort.

wish i could buy plant starts around here for the fall planting season.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

7 mater plants. All of them decided they wanted to get ripe about the same time. Ended up with a few mater pies in the freezer

IMG_9665.JPG
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."- Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lynchmob View Post
    DrDuck, what kind of squash are you planting?
    Straight Neck and the way my luck is going it won't make