Thread: Moultrie

Default Moultrie

Been a long time since I've been on this side of the lower lake. We are fishing out of short stay and to be frank, I'm scared to death of this lake. For those that may be familiar much more so than me, is there a "safe" route to russleville? I have a back up plan and depending on schedule may lock in to the river but would prefer not too. If it's was just me but my son and someone's else's kid will be my responsibility and I'm not real comfortable. My kid has a side bet with a friend and I can put them on fish but I have to get there. Anyone have any pointers for making that run?
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

You could always tow the boat up and put in at the Russellville ramp if you don't want to make that run

I've spent a lot of time on Moultrie in big and little boats. You only need to know three things: 1) the location of every boat ramp and 2) the wind forecast, and 3) there are times you just can't hunt/fish where you want to.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

follow channel markers toward diversion canal, before you get to the canal turn right and head toward the rediversion, stay pretty much in the center between land masses, russelville is on the right as you near the rediversion.

if you have a good gps- download a lakes map or just get a regular lake map and stay away from any islands- it's really a pretty easy run.

Thanks guys. After looking at the forecast this morning, don't know what I'm going to do now. Calling for 16mph winds out of the west. If I know anything it's that I don't want to be on moultrie when it's windy. I'll figure it out. Thanks again.

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

CP#96743

For a windy day like that...best you can do is trailer to the canal and float for a cat.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    follow channel markers toward diversion canal, before you get to the canal turn right and head toward the rediversion, stay pretty much in the center between land masses, russelville is on the right as you near the rediversion.

if you have a good gps- download a lakes map or just get a regular lake map and stay away from any islands- it's really a pretty easy run.
    better go to left of graveyard island and right of four tupelo trees . THe lake is at 74.25. Also, be riding high trimmed up when going cross sand bar or either idle.
    Better yet, at 74.25 I would stay put.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by DuckorBust View Post
    Thanks guys. After looking at the forecast this morning, don't know what I'm going to do now. Calling for 16mph winds out of the west. If I know anything it's that I don't want to be on moultrie when it's windy. I'll figure it out. Thanks again.
    Smart Man.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Fish the canal with cut bait they're usually chewing this time of year. Too damn windy today

Son has the championship for high school/middle school (bass tournament), so I'm stuck there. Don't think I'll lock in to the river because I'm not sure how bad it has to get for them to shut the locks down and I sure don't want to get stuck and miss weigh in. I have some spots close and hopefully I can make it behind the hatchery. If not we'll fish rocks the whole day. Again, I appreciate the input fellas. Having someone else's kid in the boat, I have to be extremely cautious.......and I certainly wouldn't want to face the wife if something was to happen to her "little boy".

CP#96743

If the winds are out of the West, I would trailer the boat to Angel's landing and fish that side of the lake. You might be able to ease around to the flats from there.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I live on that lake, and would HIGHLY recommend you not try to get to Hatchery today. Crossing that open lake with 16 MPH out of south and getting worse as day goes on has tragedy written all over it. Be smart and fish the cove by boat launch if at Short Stay

I'm sure he's found out already but the wind has been blowing steady at 20 - 25 all day out the South. That's not including gusts. No way I would risk running much of anywhere out of Shortstay today. We took the back trails from my house to Russellville yesterday but did not cross the channel due to the whitecaps. After cleaning 20 catfish we went down to Watermark for a bite to eat. 3 locals pulled up to the old ramp to launch a 14 foot fiberglass jon boat. The drug it out the back of the boat and down to the ramp. Dam thing was swamped before they ever got the trolling motor on. They drug it back up the ramp, flipped it over to dump water out and loaded it back in the truck. 2 of them sat in it as they drove off. I was hoping they would of at least made it out past the bulkhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Overton side of East Dike is about the only choice other than the cove at Shortstay and rip rap along locks. Or trailer to Russellville and fish the leeward side.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

what kind of boat are you in? follow the dam around and fish pinopolis cove- there is always a winning stringer in there

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    what kind of boat are you in? follow the dam around and fish pinopolis cove- there is always a winning stringer in there
    Triton TR21

CP#96743

Latest forecast is 12mph out of the west. Hopefully I can run the dike around pinnopolis to get behind the hatchery.

CP#96743

Quote Originally Posted by DuckorBust View Post
    Latest forecast is 12mph out of the west. Hopefully I can run the dike around pinnopolis to get behind the hatchery.
    12 mph west wind should be no problem.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk