Thread: AGFC proposed changes

Default AGFC proposed changes

Adjustments to nonresident waterfowl permits proposed

LITTLE ROCK – There may be some limits to the amount of time nonresident hunters may pursue waterfowl on Arkansas Game and Fish Commission controlled wildlife management areas in the next year. After many phone calls, letters and posts to social media from Arkansas hunters, the AGFC is proposing one possible way to give resident hunters additional preference on public land in The Natural State.

Currently, a nonresident waterfowl hunter is required to have a special nonresident WMA permit to hunt on many of the public areas focused on waterfowl management. They may purchase a five-day permit for $25 or an annual permit for $100, and may hunt any WMA.

“We’ve heard from a lot of people that they think we’re not charging enough for nonresidents to come and hunt our famous waterfowl areas,” said AGFC Director Jeff Crow. “And many residents surveyed believe the amount of nonresidents on these WMAs has gotten too high. The last thing we want to do is restrict hunters from using the public hunting lands we manage, but we do want to work with our residents to increase their level of satisfaction during their hunts.”

According to license sales figures, 49,161 non-resident waterfowl stamps were purchased in the 2016-17 season. From those hunters, 9,358 hunters (19 percent) purchased a non-resident waterfowl WMA permit required to hunt Arkansas WMA managed for waterfowl habitat. Money derived from nonresident waterfowl WMA permits and the difference in cost between resident and nonresident waterfowl stamps is earmarked specifically for wetland habitat management on Arkansas WMAs to continue providing the sort of duck hunting that made The Natural State famous.

The proposed changes to the nonresident waterfowl WMA permit include:
    1. Eliminating the annual nonresident WMA waterfowl permit;
    2. Limiting nonresidents to only six 5-day nonresident WMA waterfowl permits per season;
    3. Making each nonresident WMA waterfowl permit purchased specific to a single WMA of the buyer’s choosing, and 4. Increasing the fee for the 5-day nonresident waterfowl permit from $25 to $30.50.

These proposals will be posted May 12, initiating a formal 30-day public comment period, and the Commission is expected to take action on these recommendations at its regularly scheduled meeting June 15, in Jonesboro. An online public comment survey has been created and is available at the following link.
    https://survey.agfc.com/index.php?r=...489896&lang=en

Scumpter people still causing problems.

Money grab. Will change nothing
    80-20 Genaration

Yeah the only inconvenience it seems will be that you have to choose the particular WMA- but not that big of a deal.

9,000 of the non residents are from SC.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by Furman View Post
    Yeah the only inconvenience it seems will be that you have to choose the particular WMA- but not that big of a deal.
    Until the WMA you're hunting freezes up... but then you just go spend $25 more and go hunt a different wma.

I went to AR twice last year and all total spent around $1000-1200 total. Under new regs this would have cost me $36 more. This will not make any difference at all in pressure or OOS hunter numbers.

Don't like the idea of eliminating the annual non resident wma permit. Don't mind paying a little more since I'm already spending significant money to chase them in AR. If they think this will deter OSS'ers-thats misguided.

I think I will go an extra five or ten days this year just for kicks. Just a way to get more money.

They have already determined they are whores, just negotiating price now.

If they cared about limiting those using the resources, they would draw.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Wont bother me a bit. Whats $5.50 anyway...
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

They passed it this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Thanks feets

June 15, 2017
    Randy Zellers Assistant Chief of Communications

Commissioners with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission approved changes to Arkansas’s Nonresident Waterfowl Wildlife Management Area Permit at today’s regularly scheduled meeting in Jonesboro. The changes are an attempt to provide additional hunting opportunity to residents during waterfowl season on AGFC-controlled public lands.

With the changes, the annual Nonresident Waterfowl WMA Permit has been eliminated, leaving only the 5-day permit as a purchasing option for nonresidents who wish to hunt a WMA for waterfowl. The five-day permit is specific to a single WMA, which the buyer will choose at the time of purchase.

Nonresidents will be allowed to purchase six such permits per waterfowl season, and the price has been increased from $25 to $30.50.

Commissioner Bobby Martin of Rogers stated that it is important to keep in mind that this change is meant to be an adaptive regulation.

“Understanding the management challenges we have, particularly in regard to our issues with the health of our flooded hardwoods, it’s important that we visit this issue every year,” Martin said.

Outgoing Chairman Fred Brown of Corning agreed with Martin.

“We don’t know from one year to the next what weather and other conditions may affect our waterfowl areas,” Brown said. “We may need to change it, tweak it or keep it the same depending on what is learned each year going forward.”

In his last scheduled meeting as chairman of the Commission, Fred Brown was praised by many staff and commissioners alike for his example of leadership and courage during his term.

“This is a very bittersweet moment for me,” said Commissioner Steve Cook of Malvern. I have had the opportunity to stand behind and beside this man during my time here. He is a brother and a mentor to me, and our communication will never stop.”