Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATF Reverses Stance on Shouldering AR-15 Pistols

That gun is like that chrome door trim you see on early 2000s navigators

That gun is like duct tapes jeans

That gun could sell cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I am in no way defending USMC and nor do i like his choice if firearm colors, but IF the man wants to spend his money on that stuff its his business... I feel like if it was FDE or OD Green instead of red there would be several folks drooling all over it..To each their own..

It's like a neck tat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Doesn't this effectively make a short barreled AR a non NFA item so long as it has a "brace" on it instead of a butt stock.

Can I just ordered a KAK Shockwave and a 10.5" barrel now?
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 04-28-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Doesn't this effectively makes a short barreled AR a non NFA item so long as it has a "brace" on it instead of a butt stock.

Can I just ordered a KAK Shockwave and a 10.5" barrel now?

Yes you can
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I'm getting close to starting my PDW build. BCM 9" 300 AAC upper on a PSA lower, and I'm gonna get that Law Tactical side folding adaptor. Just want something short and handy and STILL ballistically efficient. Which a 9" 5.56 won't be.

I'll stick to NFA - I like the standard AR stock instead of a brace.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I'm getting close to starting my PDW build. BCM 9" 300 AAC upper on a PSA lower, and I'm gonna get that Law Tactical side folding adaptor. Just want something short and handy and STILL ballistically efficient. Which a 9" 5.56 won't be.

I've been wanting to SBR a couple pistols but can't decide if it's worth the hassle or not. But those law tactical folders are pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post

Is 12.5" 5.56 about the shortest length to be ballistically efficient within 100-150 yds or so?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Depends on who you talk to and probably what load you shoot. I think a lot of bad guys have been shot to good effect with MK18's beyond that distance, though. It's not optimal, but it can work, obviously. I just would rather have a couple more inches and get a shade more velocity, a bit less muzzle blast, and more reliability. BCM says that 11.5" is the lowest they personally recommend. I went 12.5...

So, what is the choice pistol brace to order and from where?
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I have both Sigs and several Shockwaves. I prefer the Shockwave. Thorsen makes a nice checkweld for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I have both Sigs and several Shockwaves. I prefer the Shockwave. Thorsen makes a nice checkweld for it.
    I was wondering the same thing as BugBuster, but would the addition of a cheek-weld constitute a modification, which would violate the ATF criteria in their decision?

Swamp Rat, have you ever tried a linear compensator like this one from Black River Tactical, which appears to get some good reviews for blast and flash reduction.

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...tegory=1799361
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 04-28-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    ~ George Washington

All mine have SilencerCo Trifecta brakes so I can run my can on 'em.

When I went with my 11.5" 5.56 I had the same delema. I decided that $200 to the ATF was more beneficial than $135 for an arm brace. It boils down to function and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    When I went with my 11.5" 5.56 I had the same delema. I decided that $200 to the ATF was more beneficial than $135 for an arm brace. It boils down to function and patience.
    This is good advice. I have used a shockwave to test and try new calibers and barrels but when I find something I like it normally ends up with a tax stamp
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Is using a trust still the best way to go or is going the individual route just as easy now?

I like my shockwave braces but they don't balance the gun as well as a regular stock would.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    It should apply to any legal brace, as per previously defined by ATF rulings...that's the way I interpreted it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    According to this article, the ATF letter ONLY applies to SB Tactical products, I.e., the Sig brace...

There are two main takeaways to this ATF reversal on SB Tactical stabilizing braces. I want to put these right out front so there is zero confusion.

This ATF reversal only applies to SB Tactical products. All other manufacturers of arm braces are NOT covered in this private letter. This cannot be overstated. The letter only applies to SB Tactical and SB Tactical products!
    The ATF did, indeed, reverse its position with respect to SB Tactical’s proprietary pistol stabilizing braces. Shooting them from the shoulder no longer counts as a “redesign” of the products which previously made them subject to National Firearms Act regulations, i.e. short-barreled rifle. You can now fire an SB Tactical stabilizing brace from the shoulder and NOT be in violation of the law!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/atf...from-shoulder/
    Dick, I think you make a darn good argument for an SBR.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 04-30-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    ~ George Washington

Well fuck if it's on the internet in a gun blog then it must be true