Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building Question

Quote Originally Posted by lowbudget View Post
    If you pour more than 15 linear feet of concrete, it will crack. It may crack along a control joint, or be a very small hair line crack, or be flush on both sides so you dont notice while walking around but it cracked I promise. The only exception I have seen is Post Tension Slabs. I've seen a few smaller post tension slabs that didn't crack because of the confining compression. But I highly doubt a large scale building like you referenced is post tension.

Long story short, the slabs you have seen cracked you just didn't notice.
    Nuh uh.

Go look at those tilt wall buildings in CLT. There ain't a crack nowhere to be found. Believe me. I heard it from a guy on SCDUCKS.

You know, since the tilt walls are slab foundation components and all.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Architects and Accountants are usually low bred..

Although I know a few exceptions..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I'd also tell him the size and spacing of the bolts for your sill plate attachment. If he doesn't like it, find another builder.
    His plans should specify that as well. If not, defer to the code.

I think code says 6' maximum spacing between anchor bolts, anchor bolts have to be within 1' of the ends of the sill plate and a minimum of two per sill plate. I don't remember right off what is says about the size of the bolt.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    Not called out in the specs. At a minimum I think rebar should be used. The price of rebar couldn't be that bad. That just isn't a place to skimp. Thank you for the replies.
    Has to be on engineered drawings.

I love it when we have these construction talks...

Quote Originally Posted by lowbudget View Post
    If you pour more than 15 linear feet of concrete, it will crack. It may crack along a control joint, or be a very small hair line crack, or be flush on both sides so you dont notice while walking around but it cracked I promise. The only exception I have seen is Post Tension Slabs. I've seen a few smaller post tension slabs that didn't crack because of the confining compression. But I highly doubt a large scale building like you referenced is post tension.

Long story short, the slabs you have seen cracked you just didn't notice.
    Agreed, when moisture leaves concrete shrinkage happens causing micro fractures preferably along the joints occur. These cracks don't affect leveleness or integrity of a slab or walls. I separate that from when a residential says all concrete cracks. They usually mean a very visible crack due to poor slab prep.

BTW, post tension slab on grades are becoming more common in the south east. Suspended one-way and two-way slabs can have very little shrinkage like post tension slabs when the same type of shrinkage and temperature rebar is in the designed, imo. PT is just much cheaper with more head room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Has to be on engineered drawings.
    Homes under 5k SF and 3 levels do not have to be engineered. Smaller than that a person can use a drafter/designer. The builder can alter from the plans if he remains in code.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Homes under 5k SF and 3 levels do not have to be engineered. Smaller than that a person can use a drafter/designer. The builder can alter from the plans if he remains in code.
    And, no.

Since when? I have drawn several dozen house plans in the Piedmont of SC that were not required stamped.

I think the was saying that the builder can't stray from the county approved plans...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Since when? I have drawn several dozen house plans in the Piedmont of SC that were not required stamped.

You can't build an outhouse on the coast without stamped structural drawings. I don't know about the upstate anymore, I left that shithole to the rest of you.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I think the was saying that the builder can't stray from the county approved plans...
    You ain't getting them without stamped structural here. We stray all the time but you got to have them for a permit. Never seen the inspector look for wire or steel in the slab. Most of the time they want to see the soil test which are BS and the bonding. It's all bullshit.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Even commercial is exempt from being stamped if under 5,000 ft. That is why all of the 7-11 stores are 4997 sq. ft.

I did design a house on the coast and builder had to have the foundation/piling drawing stamped. Up here home owners buy internet plans with CIP stem wall foundations for deeper frost lines and builders uses a strip footing and brick veneer curtain wall with cmu piers.

I have drawn new foundation plans to meet code for more studious home owners that wanted everyone quoting apple to apples and builders that wanted the buyer to know what he was building.

Either way drawings can be amended even if zoning has to approve. A buyers is not locked into the approved plans.

The state allows it, but the the municipality has the right to add to the building codes. That is why they are typically operating on an edition that is not the most current. Most are going by IBC 2013 right now when the 2016 edition exists.

Quote Originally Posted by kquinn View Post
    The state allows it, but the the municipality has the right to add to the building codes. That is why they are typically operating on an edition that is not the most current. Most are going by IBC 2013 right now when the 2016 edition exists.
    Hey concrete man.

How many pads have you poured and finished that didn't have a crack in them a year later?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Zero. They all crack. Everyone. Some are just more visible than others.

But I am a beginner- I haven't hit a million yards yet.

Duly noted.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

How many outside ACI standards that would be consider a true crack that require warranty work? Not typical shrinkage within tolerance.

Oh, no...

Don't go qualifying cracks now.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!