Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building Question

Quote Originally Posted by kquinn View Post
    Zero. They all crack. Everyone. Some are just more visible than others.

But I am a beginner- I haven't hit a million yards yet.
    Just add more water, it'll be alright.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    How many outside ACI standards that would be consider a true crack that require warranty work? Not typical shrinkage within tolerance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    That is a very small number as well. ACI is actually very forgiving when it comes to the amount of cracking allowed.

Bigtimber has worked his google-er off today...
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Not hardly when it comes to concrete. In my world the last 20 years cracked concrete meant a floor saw rental and dowels drilled and epoxy.

I still advise any builders that tells you all concrete cracks is setting you up for a potential bad pour.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post

You know, since the tilt walls are slab foundation components and all.

Well slabs on grade is slab on grade, foundations are foundations and tilts are actually could be consider 2 components. They are designed to swing in the air then designed as static load bearing walls. The better concrete guys work these projects or the 2nd tier around here.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 04-25-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Well slabs on grade is slab on grade, foundations are foundations and tilts are actually could be consider 2 components. They are designed to swing in the air then designed as static load bearing walls. The better concrete guys work these projects or the 2nd tier around here.
    But only the top tier contractors weld the panels down and together.

I meant concrete subs. Two pieces of #8 rebar in the strip footing is all that is needed to hold the bottom of the tilt panel in place and the tie back dowel into the slab. But you steel guys have some engineers fooled into running those long beads on angle due to a bunch of golf on Friday afternoons . Welding the steel joist and girders to the embeds seems like a fun job.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 04-25-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Don't usually have much to say on here, but since I am a tilt wall contractor in the Charlotte region, I figured I'd weigh in. Your slab on grade will crack, despite what some above may tell you. The purpose of cutting control joints is to control the location of where the cracks occur. These control joints (sawcuts) shouldn't be more than 15' apart, and should be relatively square (rectangular patterns tend to break in the middle). These are not plastic shrinkage cracks as mentioned aboved, and tend to go all the way through the slab (which is why some buildings require dowel baskets for load transfer at the control joints).

I would recommend you go ahead and plan out your control joint layout with your contractor to make sure you don't get any rectangles, and to make sure he will cut any inside corners as needed. As far as fiber vs mesh, mesh Is better than fiber, but only if placed in the top 3rd of the slab. Honestly for this slab with minimal loads, I would recommend unreinforced and no fiber because it really isn't needed as long as the concrete is placed within spec.

Make sure they have the appropriate rebar/laps/and widths in the footings.

PM me if you want some more info.

Welding the steel joist and girders to the embeds seems like a fun job.
    Those never actually weld to the embeds. You have to weld a shelf lug to the embed and the joist/ girder bears on that and welds to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Those never actually weld to the embeds. You have to weld a shelf lug to the embed and the joist/ girder bears on that and welds to it.
    I see. Have you walked joist before dragging leads?

Yes sir

As usual, you guys are awesome. This place never disappoints

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    As usual, you guys are awesome. This place never disappoints
    Well, at least you can do a tilt panel house for them now. Should be very energy efficient and stand up to a hurricane or tornado.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Yes sir
    Mad props.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Well, at least you can do a tilt panel house for them now. Should be very energy efficient and stand up to a hurricane or tornado.
    True. It will happen. The brick veneer looks awesome, almost too perfect. We did a 3 story office building.

I just took my occidental tool belt off with my Douglas hammer and redwing boots. What are we talking about?

Martinez hammer is on back order.

What stone are we using in the concrete?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Do you promise customers wide cracks across the new garage floor?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Martinez hammer is on back order.
    Showoff, I still have use a plumb 13oz and Estwing 25oz.