Thread: Suggestions for decking for dock

Default Suggestions for decking for dock

I will be needing to replace the decking on my dock. Area to covers is roughly 36'X8'. Any first hand experience?

.46 PT 2X6's screwed down with 3 1/2" stainless screws.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If you want to spend big money, go with Salty's recommendation, but substitute some Trex stuff for the PT.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    ......but substitute some Trex stuff for the PT.

If you want to experience the same feeling as walking on the surface of the sun!

Yeah...Trex gets hot as blue blazes...especially the dark colored boards. If you want to go composite look at AZEK
    Last edited by reeltight; 04-25-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Trex gets hot but looks best (no one cares what looks better when your feet are burning)

Azek/Timbertech (same company) are two good options that dont get AS hot, not to say they dont get warm.

There is a new product coming out, called moisture shield decking, same premise as both but they have one called "cool deck" that stays 30 % cooler than any of the above (or better)

Its slightly more expensive (obviously) but the stuff is pretty cool, The rep came in and gave us a demo of how it works, and he had a sample of every brand under heat guns and it was pretty crazy how much cooler theres was. Also warranty is held for 25 years fade and function and even warrantied if installed UNDERWATER.
    Last edited by Fishinmission; 04-25-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Use pressure treated 2x6s. Add some water seal/ wood treatment, pressure wash as needed. I personally use nails to hold my deck boards down, but this is only because I am frequently removing them to work on the power or water and the nails make them easier to remove.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

Cox Wood has some CCA treated wood that will not rot. Screw it down and you should be good for a long long time

Thanks for the inputs to all

use a .60 cca treated 2x8- it's saltwater splash rated and won't rot like most other treated wood, screw down with #10 x 3" sst star drive screws and you will be good for the next 20 years, the screws are easy to remove with a cordless impact driver.
    contact decks and docks in down town Charleston get 60- 2x8x8 .60 treated( hand pick them) 1 box quickdrive screws and borrow the stand up quick drive set up from them.
    I do this for a living and it's what I would put on my personal dock- 2x8s feel better on the feet, use fewer fasteners and cost less per project- remember to install cup down( bark side up)

however

if money is no object go with the timber tech 2x6 decking

remember- as you pull up your old decking to re nail the framing beneath it- a 5lb box of sst ringshank 16 nails will probably be enough.

less than $700 in materials
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 04-27-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks for the info Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    use a .60 cca treated 2x8- it's saltwater splash rated and won't rot like most other treated wood, screw down with #10 x 3" sst star drive screws and you will be good for the next 20 years, the screws are easy to remove with a cordless impact driver.
    contact decks and docks in down town Charleston get 60- 2x8x8 .60 treated( hand pick them) 1 box quickdrive screws and borrow the stand up quick drive set up from them.
    I do this for a living and it's what I would put on my personal dock- 2x8s feel better on the feet, use fewer fasteners and cost less per project- remember to install cup down( bark side up)

however

if money is no object go with the timber tech 2x6 decking

remember- as you pull up your old decking to re nail the framing beneath it- a 5lb box of sst ringshank 16 nails will probably be enough.

less than $700 in materials

I agree with this if i were to build my own and use treated this is what I would use, just be wary if your getting permit and need to have inspected, because with the treatment standards in place now, the .6 saltwater splash is not rated for human continuous contact.

In my opinion this is what i would use also, and just not tell anyone what im using.

just remember to pull off the tags- he is from Moncks Corner- no one up there will inspect the boards for proper treatment- the only jobs we work that get inspected like that anywhere are Govt jobs.

BB - I can get saltwater splash also, give me a pm if you want me to price