Thread: 50 Years Ago, This Was a Wasteland. He Changed Everything

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default 50 Years Ago, This Was a Wasteland. He Changed Everything

This is an amazing story. He explains how it all worked:

Almost 50 years ago, fried chicken tycoon David Bamberger used his fortune to purchase 5,500 acres of overgrazed land in the Texas Hill Country. Planting grasses to soak in rains and fill hillside aquifers, Bamberger devoted the rest of his life to restoring the degraded landscape. Today, the land has been restored to its original habitat and boasts enormous biodiversity. Bamberger's model of land stewardship is now being replicated across the region and he is considered to be a visionary in land management and water conservation.

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Cool story. Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by lowcountryboiled View Post
    Cool story. Thanks for posting
    It impressed me.

I'm sure that cost him an ass of money. But I bet with him being a private business man it cost him millions less than it would cost a state DNR or any other tax supported group. If taxpayers had been paying for it we'd still be waiting for them to finish the project.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 04-24-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Would love to share a beer with him and hear more of his stories about the place.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Would love to share a beer with him and hear more of his stories about the place.
    Dang right! Me too.

I already understood that vegetation impacts hydrology. But I didn't realize it affected it that much. The key is native vegetation it seems. What Mr. Bamberger did going from bone dry aquifers to springs popping up in 2 years is amazing. And today sending water into Houston. That's mind blowing.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 04-24-2017 at 01:55 PM.