Thread: Youth PFD

Default Youth PFD

Fished a local tournament this weekend and my boy said he wants to do more of them, so I figured I would purchase him a more comfortable PFD since he's about outgrown his old one.

Any recommendations?

All the youth PFD I see are up to 90lbs... do I move him up to a small adults? He weighs 100 lbs.

I would say that you would. My boy weighs 55lbs and he tried on a 50 to 90 lbs jacket today. It was tight and I'm sure he would out grow it in a year but it also depends on what style and who makes it. The one he tried on today was an Obrien.

How old is he? I don't know if they make inflatable pfd's for youth or not, but eventually he is going to start putting up a fight with the traditional pfd. The inflatables are a hell of a lot more comfortable to me. I'm also not sure if they are CG approved for youth. Would need to check on that as well, I suppose.

He wants an inflatable but I couldn't find if they were legal for youths or not.

He's 8 years old.

Bass Pro has a decent in-house branded neoprene vest that should work for a full day's use.

Colt has one, and he's never really complained about wearing it.

if riding in a boat at speed- make sure you get an impact rated vest- yes he is required to wear an adult vest based on weight- a neoprene ski vest is what my grand kids wear

I'll look into that.... thanks for the input.

Done some more search and most inflatables says 16+ so I'll stick to a vest type.