Thread: .284 Winchester

Default .284 Winchester

I am thinking about buying a Steyr pro hunter mountain rifle that was originally 7mm-08,and has been rechambered to .284 Winchester. The questions I have are concerning factory ammo availability and options, as well as the caliber performance in general. I have done a little research, and reviews seem to be everywhere. If anyone has first hand experience with such, that would be helpful.
    I will be using the gun for deer and, possibly hogs.
    It is in good condition with a decent 40mm Nikon scope. Price is 600$. Seems to be a pretty good deal. Just wanting some other opinions.

Ammo is going to be hard to come by, when you find it you better buy it. Most factory loadings are going to be between $2.25 and $3.25 per round. If you reload and can get brass then it becomes a little easier since it is a 7mm/.284 bullet and will be cheaper. A good cartridge that never really took off.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Thanks. Guy says he has some he has loaded that come with the deal. May need to look into getting some reloading equipment. Thought about it before, just never have.

I pretty much fall in line with what Salty says but would ask why it was re chambered. Was it just a desire by the previous owner or possibly a throat erosion problem which necessitated re chambering to a longer cartridge as the 08 is shorter 2.035" versus the 284 of 2.170". Just a thought that comes to mind.
    Genesis 9;2

Believe it was previous owners desire.

I have a Remington model 700 that was rechambered to .284 and it shoots dang good. My former boss man rechambered it because he liked the low recoil and short action combined with a .284 diameter 7mm bullet that does not do a lot of excess damage to a deer. My son and myself have shot tons of deer with that rifle with no issues. Like several others have already said buying ammo can be a bit expensive therefore that's why I reload. If you do buy it I don't think you will be disappointed especially for hunting deer as for hogs you might want a heavier bullet. I use a Hornady 139 gr btsp bullet for deer.

Steyer is a great gun , but I think you might want to have a chamber cast done or run it with a scope to look at the throat as S9 said.COL is only .135 difference which is only .010 over 1/8 of an inch, throat erosion is usually longer that that on a hot round. BTW the .284 is a great round , but reloading will be your friend. Hard to believe someone could burn the throat on a 7-08.

Thanks for all the input. May have to look at getting into reloading. I've thought about it for a while, just never made that jump. How much would initial cost be to get set up to reload properly?

Friend has a custom 700 in .284 Win. Loads 120 grain Accubonds to around 3100 FPS. It's a low recoil death ray. Accurate and nasty.Great cartridge.

I am searching for a BLR in .284
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Thanks for all the input. May have to look at getting into reloading. I've thought about it for a while, just never made that jump. How much would initial cost be to get set up to reload properly?
    Plan on about $500.00 to get rolling good. Buy an RCBS Rock Chucker kit. Go ahead and get a hand primer too. If you get RCBS dies, order the Hornady lock rings for them. Buy primers by the 1000 cheaper and more consistent.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Looked at it again today. It cycles well, barrelis in good shape. Got a Nikon pro staff 3.5x14 x40 on it. Reload or not I don't think I can go wrong. I will see shortly when I run some through it. Thanks for the help.

Here's one source for .284 Win loaded ammo..

https://www.customcartridge.com/orde...&action=Search
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

If you don't like it, you can always rebarrel it to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Steyer is a great gun , but I think you might want to have a chamber cast done or run it with a scope to look at the throat as S9 said.COL is only .135 difference which is only .010 over 1/8 of an inch, throat erosion is usually longer that that on a hot round. BTW the .284 is a great round , but reloading will be your friend. Hard to believe someone could burn the throat on a 7-08.
    I burnt the throat out of my Remington Model 7 and had to get a take off barrel off of Gunbrokers. It can be done. I only shoot handloads in it.