Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Murray boat accident

I was surprised last night with the navigational lighting on some of the boats us all. I would say they were faint at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking for led strips to put on our 21 foot deck boat for added visability.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't boat on murry but i have been on wylie many times at night and its amazing how many people sit in the main channel w/o lights on or just the anchor light. If I have to stop in the channel for any reason, at night, every light I have is on. Sad for those that lost their lives.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Prayers for the families as well as prayers and thanks for the officers that have to work these kind of accidents. Its bad enough when you have to recover bodies but really hits home when one of the victims is a friend
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    I don't boat on murry but i have been on wylie many times at night and its amazing how many people sit in the main channel w/o lights on or just the anchor light. If I have to stop in the channel for any reason, at night, every light I have is on. Sad for those that lost their lives.
    Wylie is like that day and night. Took my buddy and his daughter fishing yesterday morning. We left by 10:30. They were out in full force.

"Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by E. Taylor View Post
    Too many people, big boats, and fisherman trying to use the same space at the same time.
    Bass fisherman aren't using a spot at the same time as your rich-boy-drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    FWIW, an anchor light is the legal, proper ligthting.

LEDs down the gunnels, fore/aft lights...hell, colored strobes. They should all be legit. Mandatory? Maybe.

The more lights you have, IMHO, the safer you are. Sadly enough, most of these aren't described as legal methods of lighting. However I can light my rig up, the better, if it keeps me from being hit.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Bass fisherman aren't using a spot at the same time as your rich-boy-drunk.
    No, but these boys had been out catfishing. They were just packing up to head in when they were plowed over by the 32 footer.
    E T

People are fucking dangerous.

And shit happens. Legal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Has boat size been the main factor in these incidents?
    NO! Has no bearing on it at all. Eddie, think about it. Boat size had no bearing on this tragic event. That being said, Nav lights need to be overhauled on inland lakes and rivers. At night on Murray with all the security lights on land, etc. It is tough to see the current stern lights on MOST boats as they blend in. In the open ocean there is no land to break up the lights so they are easier to pick up on. I am on some body of water and have been for over 45/yrs just about everyday and have seen the problems with getting close to shore with all the land lights and on inland lakes and rivers. IMO something needs to be fixed on the STERN navigation lights. Strobe like on a plane would be one thing to look at. Again, Prayers for the people involved.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    NO! Has no bearing on it at all. Eddie, think about it. Boat size had no bearing on this tragic event. That being said, Nav lights need to be overhauled on inland lakes and rivers. At night on Murray with all the security lights on land, etc. It is tough to see the current stern lights on MOST boats as they blend in. In the open ocean there is no land to break up the lights so they are easier to pick up on. I am on some body of water and have been for over 45/yrs just about everyday and have seen the problems with getting close to shore with all the land lights and on inland lakes and rivers. IMO something needs to be fixed on the STERN navigation lights. Strobe like on a plane would be one thing to look at. Again, Prayers for the people involved.
    I agree with you 100%. In a lake like Murray with houses/docks on most of the shoreline, there has to be a better way for a boat to distinguish itself. Strobe lighting was my first though.

A lot of background clutter lighting on Murray. Easy for an anchor light to blend into the background. I think I'd want to be lit up like a Christmas tree.

Still no guarantee that a distracted driver sees you though.

ever boater should have one plugged in and laying on the console when boating at night. It's the least you can do to try and protect yourself.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

I hate it for those involved and their families. These kind of incidents is why I stick to the Pee Dee. Might see 4-5 boats max a day.

Shit like this is why I very rarely go past the split....

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Before you guys start begging for more laws, there are only 12-15 boating deaths each year in SC and Coast Guard stats show about 70% of those deaths are drownings (i.e. possibly prevented by wearing a life jacket). Whatever law you want to pass won't make much of a difference statistically unless you want to ban boating at night.

Terrible any way you figure. Spent my youth years fishing lights on Murray, don't remember a single cigarette boat from those days. Now I wouldn't take my kids out on a holiday weekend or week at night if you held a gun to my head. Just something that has changed and we have to adapt. Can't legislate sense and if you don't want to lose your life come in before the sun gets low.

Damn the older of the two was a customer of mine and I had spent some Saturday's in the dove field with him in years past.

Shitty situation. RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    I agree with you 100%. In a lake like Murray with houses/docks on most of the shoreline, there has to be a better way for a boat to distinguish itself. Strobe lighting was my first though.

This was my thoughts earlier too. It's hard to distinguish an anchor light vs someone's house lights in the distance until it's too late. Anytime I'm on the water after dark I have a streamlight with strobe readily accessible.