Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparkleberry WMA

You can keep whining about ponds, but a majority of that is through the ACOE. Write a letter to Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    You can keep whining about ponds, but a majority of that is through the ACOE. Write a letter to Trump.
    And the conservation bank.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Wonder who would be hunting it Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It would be the Belmont of Duck Hunting.

Just a few things to think about:

Most of the area mentioned is heavily flooded cypress and tupelo river swamp.
    It is beautiful habitat, but not very suitable for beneficial SAV.
    It's too shady. Submersed vegetation needs a lot of direct sunlight and relatively clear water.
    Tree cover, unpredictable turbidity, and constant mud from the Broad will always prevent anything of any amount.

Our plants that we can nurture are naiads, eel grass, coontail, and bacopa.
    These species can grow above 95, but don't do so now to any real extent.
    All the beneficial SAV that developed after the 08 drawdown occurred in the southeast portion of Marion (Eutawville to the canal) and around the perimeter of Moultrie.
    That's where all the eel grass was, and where it is trying to return now.

The shallow bay like terrain down there is perfect for SAV.

That area should not be left off the table in this discussion.
    With that said, west of 95 should be looked at further. I do believe that good SAV could grow around the back side of the riverbank from Elliott's to the blowout, but am not sure about how far out it would grow.

I've only personally seen eel grass at depths of 7ft, and "the flats" in front of Hickory Top are much deeper.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    It is disgusting to think I need permission to dig a hole on my property.

Why is this not the focus by all of us.
    Because I don't care about your property. Know why? Because I don't hunt your property.

Who cares about micromanaging the lake.
    I do.

Let's start macro managing the state for reduction of laws an increase in duck habitats.
    We have more than enough duck habitat to attract a shit ton of ducks, but its mismanagement leaves it with little to no appeal for migrating/wintering ducks.

...having a bazillion little habitats all over the state is more conducive to encouraging ducks to change their flyways rather than having 1 or 2 big areas.

But it seems as though with many other issues the masses are following 1 or 2 almost blindly rather than backing up an thinking through the situation.
    I've thought it through. And the rich people problems where a man can't dig a pound on his land don't confront me. I'm much more concerned with bringing the resource's natural appeal back. It attracted bazillion ducks before, why not again?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

The reality is Santee Cooper is in a war with sportsmen over carp stocking. They seek eradication not balance.

I am trying to tip the scales back towards a balance through legislation.

Exclosures can keep carp out allowing aquatics to thrive. Dikes and fences are types of exclosures. Nothing beats a balance across both lakes. A WMA will only be as good as it is managed. Aquatics require some expertise but mother nature does the bulk of the work.

I like where this is going. Keep running with it. It would be complex, but with merit if the details can be worked out. I'll give more input when I'm not working from a tablet.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

keep at it DT

They tried awhile back but something happened... can't remember what was it?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    What if we could have ANY size of impoundment near Kempsons bridge in Newberry County?? Or....maybe expand Broadriver WMA? Oh...that's right, fuck those upstaters.
    They tried awhile back but something happened.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I will point out WW what the government gives the government can take away.

By giving the power back to the individuals you ensure that if you don't like this impoundment an how it is run you go to the next.

Never put all your eggs in one basket.

By micro managing the lake an not focusing on the state you have what is there today. If it was merely a mismanagement thing all we would have to do is get one place going an ducks would be everywhere.

That simply is not the case. The entire state needs to be revamped. What you think is perfect obviously isn't perfect in the eyes an needs of the ones using said habitat (the ducks)

By removing all the stupid laws an permitting process it is no longer a so called rich man's game, or what ever you seem to think it is now.

Again everyone gets wound up an yell's yay rah rah sis boom bah while shooting the windows out of the vehicle called government in the current events section. Then it looks like a clown car with all of you jumping in the same vehicle to get what you want done with the man making a new WMA while keeping the average Joe from doing the same on his or her property. The hypocrisy is beyond staggering.

Why not focus all this time an energy into rolling back legislation keeping any one an everyone from pursing duck ponds?????
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 04-23-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

It's good to dream.
    FWIW- northern side of river channel above 95, to the trestle. Unfortunately it would not rival bayou meto timber style hunting but would definitely stand a better chance of impacting the wintering flight patterns in a positive manner if controlled and managed properly. I also think pressure, rather than food, is mismanaged on a much larger scale.

This discussion is about government and Santee Cooper balancing the management of a state resource.

It has nothing to do with DHEC asking you to monitor your dike and annually report it's condition.

Duck ponds around the lake are excluded from the DHEC requirements.

Yes, please just shut the fuck up for once Frosty, you are out of your depth.

It won't work well as Bog said. 90% of food source in that region would be mast due to lack of sunlight unless you brought in some form of planting then flood. That ain't gonna happen we know that already. I do like the idea of dedicating a section of the lake to waterfowl conservation / habitat restoration and not to get all Boggy but it needs to be done in the flats first and foremost. To add I would much rather see Santee allow grass on the flats as they are actually required to do by the Hyrdo statements and use the energy and money you speak of to fix what we already have in place.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    upstaters.
    I'm not a biologist but Hartwell would be a good place for a WMA.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    I'm not a biologist but Hartwell would be a good place for a WMA.
    Ima get y'all a two acre walking trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Ima get y'all a two acre walking trail.
    Ha

OK, With gravel

I remember the 90's when Packs Flats were nearly impossible to navigate.