Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparkleberry WMA

Default Sparkleberry WMA

What if we could have a 4000 acre impoundment above the train trestle up to Moes Lake?

Manage for aquatic vegetation. It could hold water Nov- Jan and be opened the rest of the year. The gates could be engineered to allow boat entry but keep the carp out. You could use the bank of the river and the current trestle as a dike and add 1/2 mile earthen dike just above Packs.
    IMG_2996.JPG
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

That would be sick! Could we drain sections and plant pin oaks??
    867-5309

Closer. What if we didn't try to define the details of managing it, but simply recognized that everything above I-95 should be managed for conservation purposes? DNR is reluctant to step up to this, but it is the right path. S-C might even see some serious benefits in it for them. It would imply that they had more free-rein BELOW there, more income possibilities, less responsibility, and more visibility to their "social responsibility" efforts. There is a PATH here.

This is a great idea.
    I like it.
    But while engineering said gate make sure an keep the vegetation out of the rest of the water.

A strict diet of sonar should be sprayed on the out skirts once a month.

But this is a terrific idea.

Charge for admission.

Make it pay as you go type of deal to help fund this.

This is the kind of thing government an private industry could pair with to make a premiere destination.

I am all for places to encourage duck growth as long as the main body of lakes stays veg free.

As a side I do like this idea.

There is tons of wasted space we could be utilizing to encourage deer habitat an being this would be a area that grew food an was flooded it would encourage deer usage in the months not flooded.

It would help duck hunting obviously.

But why don't we get more things like this going along with opening season year round for anyone on cormorants an Canadian geese.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

You could flood the "lower swamp" and have WMA boundary while keeping the upper swamp open.

4000 acres in and 10,000 out.

WMAs can compete with corn if you manage aquatics and water. This area can get nearly dry in winters where Santee drops the water. The dike could preserve the right level during the season.

Sounds like a permitting nightmare! Management of said resource would be pretty difficult too.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
    Closer. What if we didn't try to define the details of managing it, but simply recognized that everything above I-95 should be managed for conservation purposes? DNR is reluctant to step up to this, but it is the right path. S-C might even see some serious benefits in it for them. It would imply that they had more free-rein BELOW there, more income possibilities, less responsibility, and more visibility to their "social responsibility" efforts. There is a PATH here.
    Tuffy gets it.

I like aspects of the idea.

Dislikes:
    government managing the resource. Furthermore, them telling me when, where, what and how I can and cannot hunt Sparkleberry. But on the other side of that coin they already do that to a certain extent.

If done properly this could a be a big success. Or an epic failure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

The comment on permits is what I was talking about in the other thread.

Rather than worry about trying to put weeds in the lake spend the energy to remove boundaries keeping folks from creating new ponds.

This removal of stupid idiotic laws would eliminate all these needs for permits.

It is disgusting to think I need permission to dig a hole on my property.

Why is this not the focus by all of us.

Who cares about micromanaging the lake.

Let's start macro managing the state for reduction of laws an increase in duck habitats.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

To me having a bazillion little habitats all over the state is more conducive to encouraging ducks to change their flyways rather than having 1 or 2 big areas.

But it seems as though with many other issues the masses are following 1 or 2 almost blindly rather than backing up an thinking through the situation.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

What if we could have ANY size of impoundment near Kempsons bridge in Newberry County?? Or....maybe expand Broadriver WMA? Oh...that's right, fuck those upstaters.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

It's like I got in the DeLorean, gunned her to 88, and landed back in 2006...

Jab, It's good for business.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    It's like I got in the DeLorean, gunned her to 88, and landed back in 2006...

It won't be the same without Nab.

I have debated just how far up the rivers the "Conservation Zone" should extend. I guess Congaree and the rich guys can hold their own if they monitor the downstream flow.

More seriously, the flashbacks are why I discourage any detailed planning. It's got to be just a perception of priorities in different areas. No more.

I'm all for this but let's take this an branch out give those whom want to do the ability to.

This relieves all of obligations but take the restrictive plates off.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
    I have debated just how far up the rivers the "Conservation Zone" should extend. I guess Congaree and the rich guys can hold their own if they monitor the downstream flow.

More seriously, the flashbacks are why I discourage any detailed planning. It's got to be just a perception of priorities in different areas. No more.
    Are you saying you don't agree with Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday hunting, half days, no mud motors or air boats, 15 shell limit, no scouting, special permit lottery draw, youth only?

LOL. Debating those kinds of things is, seriously, exactly how we find ourselves in a position of having little voice in lake management. Make it a duck hunter vs. the world discussion and we get what we deserve. Nature vs. Development/Power is more than sufficient for now. With that secured, we find ourselves in a room with fishermen and naturists rather than only developers and power companies. I like my chances a lot better in that room, no matter who is assigned. Pass a resolution to declare Conservation as the focus of that part of the lake. We can make some land deals between S-C, DNR, SCPS, and the NWR later. THEN, we can talk about what is done/allowed on areas in the control of each. Now, it's already decided.

See all of that should be thrown out the window on private land an let each host work his own place just put a limit on the birds the rest doesn't matter.

But get the hell out of the way on where a pond can be placed an what can be planted in that pond as long as that pond is isolated.

My definition of navigable waters is a far cry from those idiots in the woa whom have tricked the army corps.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot