Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What vanes are yall using

Default What vanes are yall using

I'm using Blazers because that's what comes on my arrows. I've got a couple dozen bare shafts coming, is there any point in trying something else? Twisters, Quickspin? Is there really a difference?

i use quick fletch. Was tired of my vanes always falling off so easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Blazers and buy you an Arizona EZ fletch mini, right helical. You can fletch arrows in a minute or two.

Dhall you must be using the wrong glue. Most of the time they will tear before they turn loose if done properly. The key is starting with a clean surface.

I've been shooting AAE the past few years. I like them better than Blazers. I use the jig above and can fletch a dozen in a hour or so. Prep is the key. https://arizonaarchery.com/Shop/vane...8-pro-max.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I shoot feathers.. turkey feathers. 4 in feather, right helical.

The feathers seem to make tuning much easier.

But the quick fletch is the way to go if your going to be gay and not be a man.

Quote Originally Posted by tot View Post
    But the quick fletch is the way to go if your going to be gay and not be a man.
    True. To hell with some quick fletch. Get you a jig and fletch your own. It's easy and simple.

How well do the feathers hold up? I shoot 2 to 4 dozen arrows a day, the plastic vanes hold up fine, will the feathers do the same ? Any other advantages? Are they quieter, more accurate, or are they more for stabilizing large broadhead s?

I may try to four fletch on a couple of arrows just to see if there is any significant difference in broad head flight and grouping. I've watched a few videos and read some stuff that has perked my interest on it. As far as feathers, when I started that is what I used. For the last 15 years or so it's been vanes. The downside to feathers, to me, is if the get wet from water or blood I had a hell of a time getting them back to original status.

With vanes, water doesn't matter so much. Even if you shoot a deer just rinse the blood off and you're good to go as long as the arrow isn't bent or damaged. Good glue is a must for optimal life on the vanes staying on the shaft. I've had good luck with Easton's two part epoxy vane glue. I've also used Bohning and some type of Loctite ( can't remember the exact type ).

I'll keep my quick fletches. That's one less thing I have to worry about when the season gets here, and I have yet to see one fail, fall off, or break, and most of the time it's unscathed passing through a deer. I've got a few I lost in wet soil, was buried more than a year, that popped out of the ground and still didn't tear. Buncha Purists.
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

That ranks up there with eating food that won't rot. Ain't natural

Quote Originally Posted by Burney Mac View Post
    I may try to four fletch on a couple of arrows just to see if there is any significant difference in broad head flight and grouping. I've watched a few videos and read some stuff that has perked my interest on it. As far as feathers, when I started that is what I used. For the last 15 years or so it's been vanes. The downside to feathers, to me, is if the get wet from water or blood I had a hell of a time getting them back to original status.
    Just coat them in the same waterproofing powder used for fly fishing flies.

I use 4" left helical, feathers. I started with 5" feathers when using a recurve and decided to stick with them.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I shoot Feathers, 4 fletch right helical........vanes be damned.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 04-20-2017 at 01:15 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Tried them all, keep going back to blazers.

I shoot Blazers but just for aesthetics, Slick Tricks don't require vanes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    That ranks up there with eating food that won't rot. Ain't natural
    Does Jerky and salt cured meat count?

I'm with Doug. Damn jackin around with jigs and glue and feathers and all that other bullshit. All I need is a cup and some boiling water
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    I shoot Blazers but just for aesthetics, Slick Tricks don't require vanes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Preach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id venture to say i shoot around 10-12 dozen arrows a week and i still have feathers that i glued on arrows 3 years ago. The only time i have seen feathers actually get fuckered is going threw a deer. Not every deer, but every now and then you will have a deer that tears the feathers up.

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    I'll keep my quick fletches. That's one less thing I have to worry about when the season gets here, and I have yet to see one fail, fall off, or break, and most of the time it's unscathed passing through a deer. I've got a few I lost in wet soil, was buried more than a year, that popped out of the ground and still didn't tear. Buncha Purists.
    This past season I bought some from Academy b/c they were marked down. Shot a deer through the ribs. When I went to get my arrow it wasn't there, just the fletchings. The entire quick fletch had ripped off about an inch or so below the fletchings.