Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grass carp

Hearing on my bill Tuesday.
    TO AMEND SECTION 49-6-30, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO MEMBERSHIP ON THE SOUTH CAROLINA AQUATIC PLANT MANAGEMENT COUNCIL, SO AS TO ALTER THE COMPOSITION OF THE COUNCIL; AND TO AMEND SECTION 49-6-40, RELATING TO THE AQUATIC PLANT MANAGEMENT PLAN, SO AS TO REQUIRE THE PLAN TO BALANCE AQUATIC PLANT MANAGEMENT WITH THE PRESERVATION OF FISH AND WILDLIFE HABITATS.
    Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
    SECTION 1. Section 49-6-30 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
    "Section 49-6-30. There is hereby established the South Carolina Aquatic Plant Management Council, hereinafter referred to as the council, which shall be composed of ten members as follows:
    1. The council shall include one representative from each of the following agencies, to be appointed by the chief executive officer of each agency:
    (a) Water Resources Division of the Department of Natural Resources;
    (b) South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control;
    (c) Wildlife and Freshwater Fish Division of the Department of Natural Resources;
    (d) (delete South Carolina Department of Agriculture;
    (e) delete) Coastal Division of the Department of Health and Environmental Control;

(f) South Carolina Public Service Authority;
    (g)(e) Land Resources and Conservation Districts Division of the Department of Natural Resources;
    (h)(f) South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism;
    (i)(g) Clemson University, (delete Department of Fertilizer and Pesticide Control)(add Dept of Forestry and Environmental conservation)]
    2. The council shall include one representative from the Governor's Office of the Governor, to be appointed by the Governor.
    3. (add)The council shall include one member appointed by the Chairman of the Senate Fish, Game, and Forestry Committee and one member appointed by the Chairman of the House Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Environmental Affairs Committee.
    4. The representative of the Water Resources Division of the Department of Natural Resources shall serve as chairman of the council and shall be a voting member of the council.
    The council shall provide interagency coordination and serve as the principal advisory body to the department on all aspects of aquatic plant management and research. The council shall establish management policies, approve all management plans, and advise the department on research priorities."
    SECTION 2. Section 49-6-40 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
    "Section 49-6-40. The department, with advice and assistance from the council, shall develop an Aquatic Plant Management Plan for the State of South Carolina. The plan shall seek to balance aquatic plant management with the preservation of fish and wildlife habitats. The plan shall describe the procedures for problem site identification and analysis, selection of control methods, operational program development, and implementation of operational strategies. The plan shall also identify problem areas, prescribe management practices, and set management priorities. The plan shall be updated and amended at appropriate intervals as necessary; provided, however, problem site identification (add) by an independent entity and allocation of funding shall be conducted annually. In addition, the department shall establish procedures for public input into the plan and its amendments and priorities. The public review procedures shall be an integral part of the plan development process. When deemed appropriate, the department may seek the advice and counsel of persons and organizations from the private, public, or academic sectors.
    The council shall review and approve all plans and amendments. Approval shall consist of a two-thirds vote of the members present. The department shall have final approval authority over those sections which do not receive two-thirds approval of the council."
    SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 04-21-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Hang on you want to delete DHEC from regulating the biggest 2 body lake in our state while putting them in charge of running around messing with every single farmer that has anything more than a mud puddle on their property?

HUH?

How about working on getting them off of that stupid pond damn brigade an wasting tax payer monies an time.

Do not take the fertilizer an pesticide off.

Again you have 2 bodies of water that are a trap for every run off going back to Columbia. It concentrates the run off's. I'm much more concerned with what they have to say than I am department of forestry?????

Furthermore there needs to be a amendment.

Santee Cooper has the final an last say as to how to run the lake. For the generation of power trumps all an any other needs.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Tmbrhntr View Post
    Amazing how the same thing can cause 2 separate reactions. When I think of those mats I do not have nightmares but fond memories of schools of 7lb bass crushing spooks over the top of them or eating carolina rigged lizards around them. I also have fond memories of killing all sorts of waterfowl around them (Mallards, Widgeons, Canvasback, Pintails, Bluebills, Ringnecks, etc.)
    This, by God.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Hang on you want to delete DHEC from regulating the biggest 2 body lake in our state while putting them in charge of running around messing with every single farmer that has anything more than a mud puddle on their property?

HUH?

How about working on getting them off of that stupid pond damn brigade an wasting tax payer monies an time.

Do not take the fertilizer an pesticide off.

Again you have 2 bodies of water that are a trap for every run off going back to Columbia. It concentrates the run off's. I'm much more concerned with what they have to say than I am department of forestry?????

Furthermore there needs to be a amendment.

Santee Cooper has the final an last say as to how to run the lake. For the generation of power trumps all an any other needs.
    Looks like I will not be recommending you for the appointment. DHEC still has one vote. There is not a single private citizen on this board. All govt employees unless you consider the Santee member non-gov. The Clemson appointment needs to shift to someone seeking a balance.

So the suggestion is to take the group that in in charge of pesticide regulation, Clemson DPR, off the council that is tasked with appproving the application of thousands of gallons of pesticides into our state's lakes, rivers and reservoirs?

I see your intent and I don't have a better solution but man that's a tough pill to swallow. I like having the experts on pesticides on this group. I can just see it now, "I plan to use carmex and diesel fuel to kill these weeds". Approved!

Also I don't care about being on the council but I want in on the fat government contract for going out on my John boat and "surveying" the weeds!

Richard Kaminski, Ph.D.

Director, James C. Kennedy Waterfowl & Wetlands Conservation Center
    Forestry and Environmental Conservation Department

Office: Baruch Institute of Coastal Ecology
    Phone: 843-344-2811
    Email: RMKAMIN@clemson.edu
    Personal Website: http://www.clemson.edu/kennedycenter

Educational Background

Ph.D.
    Michigan State University 1979

M.S.
    Michigan State University 1975

B.S.
    University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point 1972

Courses Taught

Waterfowl Ecology and Management, WFB 4930/WFB 8180

Please visit: http://www.clemson.edu/kennedycenter

Research Interests

Waterfowl and wetlands ecology and habitat management/conservation

Extension and Outreach

Waterfowl and wetlands management workshop for public and private sectors.
    Youth waterfowl hunting workshops and guided hunts.

Publications

See current publications at: http://www.clemson.edu/kennedycenter

Links

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Santee Cooper with the final say. Lol. Right. Just as well have sc d o t in charge
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Tmbrhntr View Post
    Amazing how the same thing can cause 2 separate reactions. When I think of those mats I do not have nightmares but fond memories of schools of 7lb bass crushing spooks over the top of them or eating carolina rigged lizards around them. I also have fond memories of killing all sorts of waterfowl around them (Mallards, Widgeons, Canvasback, Pintails, Bluebills, Ringnecks, etc.)
    Amen! Amen!!
    867-5309

Yup. Encourage a balanced approach. You cannot kill all the native vegetation trying to control a couple hundred acres of hydrilla.

As always, your input and help is greatly appreciated DT.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I believe the Santee Lakes can become a priemere waterfowl destination again.

We have a refuge for roosting and rest. Corn ponds for high carbs. All we need to complete the picture is aquatic vegetation. Well maybe some relief from pressure but that is another discussion.

I wish I could believe that, P, but it ain't gonna happen. We can, however, stop the decline and be better than we are now. We need to recognize that you can't fight city hall, but you can make them redistrict (rezone) in ways that give us an effective voice. A piece of that is simply the voices-at-the-table, but, more basically, it is recognition that there are different focuses on different parts of the lake system. Some part of it needs to be focused on Conservation and other parts on Recreation/Power. That will include some trade-offs in both assets and responsibilities, but it's THE path that allows any success for conservation.

Whoa there cowboy.

I can tell you that lake system was built for one thing an one thing only an none of that has anything to do with recreation or conservation.

It had an has one purpose an one purpose only.

MAKE POWER.

I will say after talker with Bog an several others the one thing I have come away with is I'm excited about private industry.
    They are stepping up.
    I would like to see if anything the state help roll back some of the draconian regulations reguard pond manufacturing.
    Again get DHeC off this knee jerk panel.
    Let folks start to build ponds left an right around the lakes for that matter in any part of the state.
    They can do what ever they want in said ponds.
    That is a much better model than trying to take a water source made for making power an Turing it into some sort of primordial soup.

I'm fine with Tom dick or Harry building 100-500 acre ponds an charging to hunt them.
    This should be premoted an embraced by all of you whom want aquatic vegetation.

This gives you total control over each environmental nich.

This truly brings econmic growth to certain areas.

This makes it could make the lake system a premire waterfowl destination.

This allows those of us who actually own property on the lake to have nice pristine sandy bottoms.

I know I'm in the minority on this subject on here but the truth is you all are in the minority in general.

If you want to fight city hall direct your energy towards loosening the restrictions on private pond manufacturing.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Silentweapon, this is SC Ducks not SC bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post

It had an has one purpose an one purpose only.

MAKE POWER.
    The purpose of creating the lakes was to create jobs during the great depression. A side benefit was the production of "hydroelectricity." It was all part of the WPA. There are a lot of dirt roads and ditches around this area that were done just "create" jobs.

In 2009 Santee Cooper had a total 6,104 MW of electric generating capacity and purchased power and had peak demand of 5590MW. Of the electricity it generated in 2009, Santee Cooper produced 80.856% from coal, 8.42% from natural gas, 8.84% from nuclear, .08% from oil, 1.74% from hydroelectricity, and 0.35% from landfill methane. All of Santee Cooper's power plants are in South Carolina.[6] In 2009 Santee Cooper sold 25.8 gigawatt hours of electricity and earned $1.7 billion in revenue.[2]
    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Santee_Cooper
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Hmm. That wasn't very nice fuzzy. You shot down 338s argument like a curr. The ole grass negatively affect power production is garbage
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Hmm. That wasn't very nice fuzzy. You shot down 338s argument like a curr. The ole grass negatively affect power production is garbage
    I guess frosted tips doesn't realize how much pollutants vegetation pulls out of the water as well.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Make fun if you will, but last I checked carp are going in an more coming!
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

I've kept quiet for a while silent weapon but I can't hold it in anymore. The old saying "better to keep your mouth shut and be presumed a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt" applies directly to you. Your knowledge of aquatic vegetation and controlling it is much like your hog killing abilities, limited at best. Typically the fellow who speaks the most knows the least. Aquatic vegetation much like nuisance weeds in row crop farming can be controlled as a target species and not widespread killing. For those of you who believe santee cooper and others that claim vegetation cannot be managed or controlled by on target spraying in certain areas, then I've got some prime real estate for you in ocean front Arizona. Is it the most cost effective way? No. Carp are much cheaper and easier. There are no shortage of herbicides and aerial applicators ready to keep pristine sandy beaches in certain areas and abundant fish and waterfowl habitat in others. It's expensive but greatly effective. Homeowners as well as sportsmen can be very happy with our huge fishery but as long as santee cooper takes the cheap and easy route then it's always gonna be one sided. The lack of vegetation in our lake system is devastating and folks don't realize how bad it is. I'm not screaming for hydrilla but just native vegetation in general. The rural backwater ponds far away from wyboo are naked. The aquatic life is low to very low and that is not healthy for such a huge body of water. The natural filtration system is gone unless you consider cypress roots a filter. I fished all over santee cooper yesterday and felt like I was looking into a murky swimming pool. The bottoms and shorelines of our lake are naked. Ignorance is dangerous and if you feel like private impoundments can take the place of high carbohydrate vegetation on our lake then Lord help us. Hillary needs a few more supporters in 2020 so I suggest you jump on now. Thanks for making me show my ass here on a beautiful Sunday morning. Also when you want a lesson on hog eradication come to Summerton and see me. The Cogdill's young corn fields show your expertise right now much like your vegetation management. Sorry for the rant fellas but I couldn't take it anymore. Have a great day.
    U serious Clark?

Hydrilla proved it could be a problem.

Santee Cooper proved they could control it.

1.74% of hydro power generation equals 29 million in profits.

WE held back the release of carp for three years. We lost the vote this year.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 04-23-2017 at 01:06 PM.