Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dove field Protection

Old Pasture land. Grass is my main issue.

Clethodim 2e is labeled for use on Sesame, sure enough. Thanks!

Knew I had read that somewhere.

Let me know how it works. Ours is coming up nice, no weeds yet but I'm sure they're coming
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Why would Poast not work, also?

NVM, I think I will spray Volunteer over everything. Clethodim is the active ingredient. Can use it in sunflower and Sesame.

Dakota and Volunteer are both 26.4% Clethodim. Volunteer is available at the local Meherrin Ag shop in 2.5 gal jugs.

I use arrest max....active ingredient clethodim.

Thanks for the info on clethodim. I will get some for my sesame. That should take care of my volunteer corn.

This is the first year that I planted it and I'm curious - how are you guys planting? I used small seed cups on my planter but ended up more or less guessing on the seed rate. It worked out to about 5#/acre on 38" rows, which should be fine. However, it was just dumb luck and I figure there is a better way to plant that small seed.

I gorilla taped off every other seed drop on my grain drill, set it up like flax seed, and ran it. I put in 7-8#s/acre on 18" rows. Ran off about 200# per acre of trip 17 in the drill, also.

Slay - How did your Sesame turn out?

Very good. It wound up grassy, so once we got a frost, I threw a firebreak around it with the disc and gave it the drip torch. Worked okay, except a couple hotspots where I burned it up! Going to try and find a plate to use in the 71s this season and row plant it.

Fence charger question. Got everything up and running this weekend, and watched the deer walk through the fence. Ruh-roh...

Anyhow, tester reports about 1/3 of the output as last season. I have some grass on the bottom wire, but we cleared most of it Sunday. It acts like a ground issue, and I am running two rods with galvanized connectors. I took them loose, sanded off the little bit of corrosion that was there, and clamped them back down, but no change. The grass is dead as a hammer, sprayed it at planting, but it didn't have any effect on voltage last year when green.

I am going to weedeat the whole damn fence line to make sure that isn't the issue, and change my clamps on the gorund rods, but could this be a ground or charger issue? 120 Mile 6.7 joule low impedance charger - last year it was throwing 7k volts on the tester, now I only get 2k, both on the fence and at the charger. It is hanging under a shed roof. Any suggestions?

Is there a dramatic difference in soil moisture where your ground enters the dirt?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

It has been dry, but we have gotten some rain of late. Grounds are outside of shed, charger box is hanging on the wall under tractor shed. I tired new clamps on the ground rod, and removing the surge protector. Same difference. Only thing left is weedeat, I reckon? If that doesn't get it popping, I guess its a charger issue.

Your charger is bad. See if warranty covers it.

Brown top millet

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Your charger is bad. See if warranty covers it.
    Negative. Bought a new Parmark online to replace the Tractor Supply Special. Back to putting 6700 volts across the wire. Some dancing deer tracks in the dirt around the wire again. Good times are here again, I hope.

Slaya what’s your final fence design? Strand count and placement?

I have two on the inside fence, 10" and 30" +/-, outside fence is about 3 feet in front, with a 14" strand, if I remember correctly. Mine is all wire, since I had it. Gates are just wire with the insulated handles. With the Parmark super 5 charger, it is pushing 6700 to 9300 volts with two grounding rods. About 3.5 acres inside of the fence.