Thread: Workout question

Default Workout question

I have been doing HIIT, very very similar to what I was doing at Crossfit Greenwood, and I am seeing results. Down 30 lbs and 12" overall.

Problem I am having is, I go on my lunch break and as most of you know a complete xfit routine including the WOD, can last over an hour.

So my question is, if I were to split my weight lifting and hard cardio up, say lift in the morning and then cardio at lunch or vice versa, could I expect to see the same results or is it something to do with cardio and weight lifting being together that makes it so effective?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Im no expert, but I split mine up. I rarely do cardio in the same session as my workout. I do this to keep my workouts under an hour though. I do weights for 45 -60 minutes and cardio late at night or early in the morning for about 45 minutes. Its not HIIT, but my cardio changes in that 45 minutes.

It helps me...

What is your goal overall fitness and improved health? I don't think it will matter one bit. You could do one 1 day and 1 the next as far as cardio then lifting. Cut either one out entirely though and it will make a big difference. You'll either get weaker or out of shape. Or scale the workout you're doing to stay under an hour. I'd start there. You certainly can have one Olympic lift per day focus and then supplement it with 3x10 of complimentary movements and add abs in under an hour. I'm doing that now and I warm up for probably 15 minutes prior. Otherwise you may be doing too much or moving too slow. Few can really get after it for more than 60 minutes. And the point is you don't need to.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    What is your goal overall fitness and improved health? I don't think it will matter one bit. You could do one 1 day and 1 the next as far as cardio then lifting. Cut either one out entirely though and it will make a big difference. You'll either get weaker or out of shape. Or scale the workout you're doing to stay under an hour. I'd start there. You certainly can have one Olympic lift per day focus and then supplement it with 3x10 of complimentary movements and add abs in under an hour. I'm doing that now and I warm up for probably 15 minutes prior. Otherwise you may be doing too much or moving too slow. Few can really get after it for more than 60 minutes. And the point is you don't need to.
    I am sure its the speed i am moving at. The fat is dropping, the muscle is building, just got to get my breathing capacity built up after years of smoking and being overweight./

It's okay to split them. On days when I'm coaching a lot I will split my strength/skill work and my metcons. For example I will do back squats in between morning classes and then knock out my metcon later in the morning. We, and I'm sure CF Greenwood is the same way, program strength/skill and metcon to fit will within an hour since most people aren't coming in for two a days and are lucky to get there for that hour. Make sure you're streamlining utilizing your time wisely. Get in, get warmed up, hit strength, transition, hit the metcon and be done. My wife and I can usually fit it all in within 30 minutes. What takes the classes so long is they like to talk and lollygag during the transitions rather than moving quickly from one to the other.

I'll also add to do your strength, whatever it may be, on tempo. As in a set every 2-3 minutes so you move through it quickly and are pushing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    It's okay to split them. On days when I'm coaching a lot I will split my strength/skill work and my metcons. For example I will do back squats in between morning classes and then knock out my metcon later in the morning. We, and I'm sure CF Greenwood is the same way, program strength/skill and metcon to fit will within an hour since most people aren't coming in for two a days and are lucky to get there for that hour. Make sure you're streamlining utilizing your time wisely. Get in, get warmed up, hit strength, transition, hit the metcon and be done. My wife and I can usually fit it all in within 30 minutes. What takes the classes so long is they like to talk and lollygag during the transitions rather than moving quickly from one to the other.

I'll also add to do your strength, whatever it may be, on tempo. As in a set every 2-3 minutes so you move through it quickly and are pushing yourself.

Thanks! I think as I continue to condition my body the speed will come. At this point, Id say alot of my time is spent trying to catch my breath to move to the next exercise. That should continue to get better.