Thread: SEAFWA - WTWG White Paper on Season Dates

Default SEAFWA - WTWG White Paper on Season Dates

The Southeastern Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies Wild Turkey Working Group consists of the turkey biologists from all of the southern states. I think that had intended to submit a resolution in opposition to early seasons, but ended up just publishing a white paper discussing the reasons why it was not a good thing. This is, pretty much, where the science stands on the issue.

http://www.seafwa.org/Documents%20an...%20ADOPTED.pdf

However right off the rip I am seeing a now familiar phrase " Hunters wanted earlier season dates". I don't recall it that way at least I don't remember a movement. I remember some politicians made it happen against the wishes of the biologist.

Was there truly a movement by hunters to make the season longer and yet the tags fewer? Or was this more accurately a guise used once again to make burn time, money and effort.

I may be the optimist when it comes to illegal hen killing be it accidental or on purpose but I don't think it happens very often... elsewise it would trickle to my ear at least in my area..

As to protecting the peak gobbling and peak nesting season via season dates to me that is just pure and sound common sense as is the statement that the removal of prime gobblers can affect your population.

I wish they would have phrased it a lot stronger.
    Last edited by Strick9; 04-10-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

A white paper on the topic from that group is important.

This one is important, too, but it is a little convoluted and over-stated because of the use of "incubation" rather than nesting dates.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ical_Committee