Thread: Composting

Default Composting

Anyone do it? I've been raking out years worth of leaves and straw accumulation from beds recently, and some is nice and decomposed. I've been piling that up and saving coffee grounds and fruit and vegetable waste to add to the pile. My new garden bed is sandy woodland topsoil, so it could use some organic matter for sure. Tomatoes are in the ground "mulched" with leaf litter that will hopefully breakdown and help, too.

Yep. sure do. All veggie scraps and egg shells go to my compost pile with small amounts going into my worm bin. Fish racks and bird guts get buried in between plants or in fallow areas that are going to be planted next year. (add a little lime on top before backfilling to keep raccoons and dogs from digging them up)

also, covering your beds with chopped leaves in the off season is one of the best things you can do for your garden. protects it from getting pelted by rain and drying out from the sun as well as encourages native worms to move in.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Anyone do it? I've been raking out years worth of leaves and straw accumulation from beds recently, and some is nice and decomposed. I've been piling that up and saving coffee grounds and fruit and vegetable waste to add to the pile. My new garden bed is sandy woodland topsoil, so it could use some organic matter for sure. Tomatoes are in the ground "mulched" with leaf litter that will hopefully breakdown and help, too.
    I would like to get my garden in this weekend, but I will be out of town. I hope I can start next week.

Be cautious with the leaf litter mulch around new plants. In the past I have battled snails and slugs that live in the mulch

I started the seeds in mid-February, so they're hopefully of decent enough size that they won't be a threat. Didn't think about that though. I'll have to keep an eye on them.

I shoot fish and compost em. If I'm feeling naughty i shoot coons in my moms bushes. Then I compost that mother fucker too.

I made a pallet setup similar to this for composting. You need to be able to turn the pile every once in a while after you add your household organic matter to it.

The lady in that picture is gonna add one hell of a seed bank to her garden if she keeps on with all of those weeds.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    The lady in that picture is gonna add one hell of a seed bank to her garden if she keeps on with all of those weeds.
    Yep!

shuffling between bins to mix just speeds up the process?
    how often should that be done?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post

But won't the heat from the composting kill any seeds?

No idea.

I don't think burning pigweed and/or nutgrass seeds will kill those bastards.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    shuffling between bins to mix just speeds up the process?
    how often should that be done?

the more often each pile is mixed, the better. (in terms of each bin's material breaking down uniformly) Also should add water to make them uniformly moist as you're mixing. - the last bin of material that is "finishing" does not need any more mixing but does need to be kept from drying out to preserve its quality.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor