Thread: 410 O/U or Auto

Default 410 O/U or Auto

Looking at buying a 410 to shoot dove and maybe some wood ducks or clays. What's out there without getting stupid on price ?
    80-20 Genaration

Go hold one of the yildiz from academy. They feel pretty good and if you arent going to shoot it alot its hard to spend big money on one. I know several people that have them in 410 and 20 and tgey love em
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

i have been looking myself. on the look out for an older 870 410. will probably end up with a new wingmaster? sure would like a nice over under 410 but not a lot of middle ground prices out there

Americans Tactical in the $500 range

Decent little gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    This, if you're going to shoot a semi .410 may as well pay up and get the best. That sporting is one nice gun. And you'll always get a return of more money if you ever decide to sell. Those Remmy .410's are like gold.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I bought a brand new 1100 .410 in 2010 and had nothing but problems with it. I sent it back to Remington four times in three years before I told them to keep it and got my money back. They didn't hesitate to give me a refund so I'm guessing they've had problems with them. Things may be better now and I hope they are, I'm itching to get another one.

That Franchi Instinct L in .410 is very nice, but it's about $1400.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Stick with an over/under for a 410. Recoil is not an issue. Here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/635602297

Only my personal opinion but if I was going to hunt down a hard-to-find sub-gauge gun for doves, I'd get a 28. 28's are supposed to pattern better than the other sub-gauges because they have a "square" load.... it's as long as it is wide. A 20 gauge load isn't much smaller than a 12 (7/8 oz vs 1 oz) and it can kick almost as much since the guns are lighter. 16 gauge is way too close to a 12 to deserve a market. A 410 is just too damn small. It makes a fine squirrel gun but doesn't throw enough lead for me to use for wing shooting. The next step down from a 410 is a .22 rifle.

If I had to choose the gauges for which stores would stock cheap shells, it would be 28 and 12. 410 is too small and sets up kids for frustration if used as a starter gun. 20, kicks as much as or sometimes even more than a 12, can cause kids to develop a flinch. 16, not enough difference from a 12 to bother with. YMMV

410 and 28 shells are stupid expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Stick with an over/under for a 410. Recoil is not an issue. Here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/635602297

This is the one I've kinda been eyeballing
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    This is the one I've kinda been eyeballing
    I'm going to end up with one of those in a 28 before its over.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I'm going to end up with one of those in a 28 before its over.
    I would suggest you make sure the one you get is on their "baby frame" and not their 20 ga frame. A 28 or 410 on a 20 ga frame will often weigh more than the 20. I have had the 28 for a couple of years and it is fun to shoot. Doves, quail, and woodcock are no match.

Deff want a baby frame. I held one at barrons a few weeks ago. It felt nice. I also held a 28ga franchi o/u. It felt good but I'm just a little wary of that quality for the price. You buy a $500 o/u and you beat on it and it breaks you don't feel as bad as a $1200 one. I know the quality of a beretta and it would be hard for me to buy a $1200 franchi when I could pay a few hundred more and get a beretta and know the quality I was getting

I know a lot of people own and shoot Franchi O/Us with great results. However, a friend of mine has a light weight 20 ga Franchi that has been sent back at least 3 times for trigger issues. At first it was doubling and then the trigger would not reset consistently to fire the second barrel. It is yet to be fixed 100%. If I were going to own a Franchi, it would be a 28 ga AL-48 and not one of their O/Us. I tend to stick with "B" brand guns for newer shotguns. Remingtons if they are older than 1990 and Winchesters if they are pre '64.
    Last edited by Two Barrels; 04-06-2017 at 12:28 PM.

My cousin has a franchi 48-al 12 that will dump gun if you fire it first time. Doesnt do it all the time. Its been sent off several times. He was in dove field one day loaded two in mag and opened bolt, dropped one in chamber and hit button. When bolt closed it dumped the mag in a tree with safety on. Since then i dont trust a franchi