Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pull Ups...

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    glenn--what do you do for people with bad shoulders? I have a partial tear and I'll be damned if I can even go a bunch of push ups without a good bit of discomfort....
    A lot of new girls at our gym have a hard time doing push-ups without discomfort also. I'll ask them for you.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 05-09-2017 at 07:08 AM.

glenn--what do you do for people with bad shoulders? I have a partial tear and I'll be damned if I can even go a bunch of push ups without a good bit of discomfort....
    Interested to see this response...I have exactly the same problem in my right shoulder.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Tampax toofer

Those of you who are having shoulder issues should look into the performance care rx shoulder program. Strongly recommended. Stick with it and don't rush.

I'm with you on the pullups, fat kids and gravity..

I think I'll start that program tonight.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 05-09-2017 at 07:30 AM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Good question as I'm in that boat. I've had shoulder surgery on my right side. A clean out with a decompression which basically means the took off the bottom of my A/C joint and removed the bursa to make more room and relieve the impingement I had. I "need" to have the left done but since having the right side done I've educated myself on how to strengthen and work on stability. That and learning to accept my limitations had kept me out of the OR for now.

But to answer your question we scale and work on stability and strength with some mobility drills using kettle bells and resistance bands. I have several members with shoulder issues and they work very hard and can do everything we throw at them using the modifications and warm ups we give them.

My experience with push ups specifically is that most people are doing them way wrong and creating impingement problems because of improper range of motion along with bad elbow and hand position.

Here is how we work bad shoulders...

And this...

And this...

Aaaaaand this...

I figured triplets were getting the best of you, and you were asking advice on what brands work best for the elderly.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

thanks glenn. my ortho dude gave me a couple of bands and some exercises. I had an impingement and should've had the surgery before the tear. Now, I just hurt like shit, cant sleep, and apparently, hate everything. Its all my shoulder's fault....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I like pull ups. I did three reps with a 35lb kettle chained in a moderatly precarious area the other night.

My approach to the shoulder pain was to ignore it. Motion is lotion they say...well, some people say that. Anyway, the more i push something, the better it feels.
    Last edited by Fish; 05-09-2017 at 09:24 AM.

thanks glenn. my ortho dude gave me a couple of bands and some exercises. I had an impingement and should've had the surgery before the tear. Now, I just hurt like shit, cant sleep, and apparently, hate everything. Its all my shoulder's fault....
    Run by play it again sports or the columbia equivalent there of, and get you a 16kg kettle bell and work those movements I posted. They help tremendously.

As for an update regarding the pull up progression and program. I started with a dead hang strict pull up max of 3. Yep. A whopping 3.

I went through the 3RM cycle and quickly improved to a 5RM. Now I'm on day 14 of the 5RM cycle and yesterday knocked out 7 unbroken. The goal for the end of the 5RM cycle is a max of 10 reps. I haven't had to back up yet but may once we get to the 8 or 9 rep sets.

My wife has been doing this also and was at a 3RM with a blue resistance band. At the end of her 3RM cycle she dropped down a band size and is now doing her 3RM cycle with a red (smaller) band. She'll continue to decrease band size at the end of each cycle until she's doing unassisted strict pull ups.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    225? damn Glenn, last time I saw you bout 180/max. Fuck a pull up. Tennis for life bubba.
    I haven't been 180 since I was in 11th grade. I'd look like a cancer victim at 180.

Currently I'm 217.

Just finished day 15 of the pull-up program and its starting to get a little nasty.

Glenn, what would you recommend if you fail a set? How much rest are you taking in between sets?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Creatine and death metal.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Just finished day 15 of the pull-up program and its starting to get a little nasty.

Glenn, what would you recommend if you fail a set? How much rest are you taking in between sets?
    If I fail a day then I go back to the start of the last 5 days cycle I finished and start there. For example if I'm on the 7, 7, 6, 5, 4 day and I can't get all seven if the first and only get 6 then I call that the first set and go back the the 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 day and start there. Make sense?

I spoke with the guy who published this program via text about time between sets and his suggestion was "As much time as you need to do the sets unbroken." So that can be 15 min, 30 min, hour or two hours. Just depends on the person. I usually spread all 5 sets out over the course of 90 or so minutes. But he said as long as you're getting the sets in that day then you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Creatine and death metal.
    This also helps.

How many years does it take for this program to get you to an L Pullup?

I guess being short and skinny helps....
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Like a cursive L or a script one? Lower case or upper?

I can bang out a few decent lower case "l" pull ups now.

When I get close to muscle failure and my knees come up I kinda look like a Q.

Oh ok, well that might be the problem then. I thought I was doing bad taking a two minute rest in between sets.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Oh ok, well that might be the problem then. I thought I was doing bad taking a two minute rest in between sets.
    Here is the quote from the blog and it's exactly what he told me via email.

Paul says:
    September 21, 2016 at 2:46 pm
    Just wondering how much rest in between sets is optimal for this program?

john says:
    October 24, 2016 at 5:51 pm
    As this program is not meant to overwork the muscles, as long as possible. Too short a rest, and you might tire too soon, hit failure and reduce the quality of your practice. Too long, and you might overlap training days. Heh.

* Minimum of 10 minutes between sets as per research.

* One session in the morning, another at lunch and the last one in the evening might work for you. Whatever suits your schedule.

Well that changes things a bit. Thanks.