Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull Ups...

Default Pull Ups...

I suck at 'em. I'm 6 foot 225 and have big ol long monkey arms. I gotta move a lot of weight a long ways.

I'm bound and determined to improve my strict pull ups. We ran across this program and our coaches are going to play around with it this month and based on our results we will introduce it to our programming and our members.

http://www.strongfirst.com/the-fight...ram-revisited/

My friends and I do pull-up, push-up, sit-up pyramids. For each set, you do 1 pull-up, 2 push-ups, 3 sit-ups. Start at one, work up to any number you choose, say 6 to start, then back down. So 12345654321- at the top you are doing 6 pull-ups, 12 push-ups, 18 sit-ups. I know you own a crossfit gym and stuff, but damn if this doesn't kick peoples asses. Try to do it as fast as possible with no breaks, no stopping for water, etc.

The link above looks interesting, we may have to try it! Last summer I got up to doing pyramids up to 10, which is 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups and 300 sit-ups. Got this from militaryfitness, supposedly some military training requires people to be able to do the pyramids up to 15.........which is insane!
    Last edited by abarill; 04-04-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

I'm in the same boat. I have been eliminating the kip and focusing on strict pull-ups during WODS.

I have done weighted pullups since bootcamp. Back then I used to just wear a pack but I have used a dip belt and plates since 2006 or so. I can usually do them once a week and stay strong that way but a lot of doing pullups is in your grip strength.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Doing a lot of pull-ups makes your weewee bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Glenda, are you a lean 225 or have you porked up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Glenda, are you a lean 225 or have you porked up?
    I porked up a grunt and put back on a lot of body fat over the last two years with all we had going on. I was coaching more than I was working out and was way under fed. It wasn't that I was eating bad. I just wasn't eating enough of the right stuff and I lost a ton of strength and muscle. Cayce and I hit the ground running at the end of the year and we're both back in the gym 4-5 days a week and our nutrition is solid. I'm leaning back out fast. My goal is a lean 215'ish.

Better get good at pull-ups. Murph is coming...

Yes he is

I feel your pain on the pull-ups.

I cant do a strict pull up yet. Makes me sick cause back in the day, well I'm sure you was the same way. Could knock out pull ups like nobodies bidness
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Pull ups & dips should be part of everyone's workout program.

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Pull ups & dips should be part of everyone's workout program.
    Strict pull-ups and dips should be a part of everyone's workout program.

I can kip 100 pull-ups at a pretty good pace. Ask me to do 15 strict pull-ups and I'll be grunting half way through them.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Strict pull-ups and dips should be a part of everyone's workout program.

I can kip 100 pull-ups at a pretty good pace. Ask me to do 15 strict pull-ups and I'll be grunting half way through them.
    And this is why I've never understood kipping. If what you say is true, what good does kipping 100 do if you can't even do 15 normal ones. Serious question.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    And this is why I've never understood kipping. If what you say is true, what good does kipping 100 do if you can't even do 15 normal ones. Serious question.
    Not a damn thing...other than being able to tell everyone you did 100 pull-ups.

It's why I have stopped with the kipping and started focusing on strict pull-ups.

I am convinced kipping pullups lead to my torn labrum. That said, I am getting moving again, but only strict pullups going forward. This is interesting, as I have lost a good bit of strength and gained 25lbs since I quit CF.

I thought only adolescent females could tear their labrum. (Usually through loss of virginity but possibly due to bicycle accidents and or intense horseback riding)

225? damn Glenn, last time I saw you bout 180/max. Fuck a pull up. Tennis for life bubba.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    225? damn Glenn, last time I saw you bout 180/max. Fuck a pull up. Tennis for life bubba.
    Tell him dr. Duck

glenn--what do you do for people with bad shoulders? I have a partial tear and I'll be damned if I can even go a bunch of push ups without a good bit of discomfort....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.