View Poll Results: Should South Carolina pass a bill to protect employees ability to have gun in vehicle

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

69 67.65%
  • No

19 18.63%
  • Only if employee has a CWP

14 13.73%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Debate: Should South Carolina pass a bill

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    I understand the difference when being stopped by LEO.
    The sections I highlighted above was to make a few significant points that haven't been discussed yet.

The section highlighted in black pertains to the original post in this thread. The portion highlighted in blue is significant IMO. If the employer posts proper, legally required signage then you would be in violation of both corporate policy and state law and thereby subject to criminal prosecution. Absent the signage you would only be in violation of corporate policy.

Since the conversation shifted to the private property rights of a homeowner, the section highlighted in red is significant as it pertains to their rights to not have unwanted guns in their homes.
    If you read the red section you will notice that the homeowner has no duty to post or inform you of their prohibition of concealed guns in their home verses the posting requirements of the corporation. Absent the homeowner's "express permission", anyone entering their home with a concealed weapon would be in violation of the law and "must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years."
    I'm betting half the people that conceal carry do not know this.
    The verbage is interesting for sure. I'm not a lawyer, but I notice that the section for employers says "upon the premises or into the workplace". I assume that covers the parking lot. But to your point its hard to post a parking lot. Especially if it is accessible to the public. Take Walmart for an extreme example. How the hell do you enforce that or even post that. Not to mention that Walmart leases their buildings and often times has a parking lot shared by other businesses?

As for the homeowners, it states "into the residence or dwelling". It says nothing about the yard or property.

"I assume that covers the parking lot. But to your point its hard to post a parking lot. Especially if it is accessible to the public. Take Walmart for an extreme example..."

Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc...... exactly my point, thanks. Personally, I'm more concerned about compliance with state law and as such would never do anything intentionally to violate a criminal statute. ( I wouldn't do well in the iron bar hotel)
    Working for an employer that doesn't post the required signage would give me the "mental room" to justify whether I wanted to have a firearm in my vehicle while on premises or not and be willing to accept the consequences ( termination) if caught in violation of corp. policy.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 04-06-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Don't know about you guys working in Georgia, but that was fought in court a few years ago. Castle Doctrine or something like that was used. Your car being your home. I know our company (Global Corporation) in Augusta, Ga. says no firearms on premise, but they took down signage about vehicles.

http://smartgunlaws.org/guns-in-vehicles-in-georgia/
    Last edited by SCDAWG; 04-11-2017 at 12:25 PM.