View Poll Results: Should South Carolina pass a bill to protect employees ability to have gun in vehicle

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

69 67.65%
  • No

19 18.63%
  • Only if employee has a CWP

14 13.73%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Debate: Should South Carolina pass a bill

Default Debate: Should South Carolina pass a bill

Should South Carolina pass a bill to protect the rights of employees to keep a weapon locked in their vehicle while at work?

I brought this up in a a different thread and was surprised by some of the answers

Please discuss
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 03-31-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Anyone should be able to travel to/from work with a weapon in their car.

To prohibit them is to essentially deny them the right to protection anywhere between work and home.

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 03-31-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Anyone should be able to travel to/from work with a weapon in their car.

To prohibit them is to essentially deny them the right to protection anywhere between work and home.

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.
    My thoughts exactly. I was surprised that others on this site do not necessarily share the same view as us in regards to this

The NRA pushed for these bills in alot of states a few years ago. It stems from a case where Weyerhaeuser searched all the employee vehicles in a parking lot at a wood mill in Oklahoma. 12 employees were fired if I recall correctly.

It was heavily debated when they passed this in Ga. Those against it said it would allow people to have a gun at work and they would shoot up the workplace. The other side pointed out that those people would do that regardless of the law and that it kept law abiding citizens from being able to be armed while traveling to and from work.

I think employees should be able to tell you what to do on their property. However my locked vehicle is my property. I think the Georgia law got it right. If it is a parking lot that is accessible to the public then you are still allowed to carry in your vehicle. If it is a restricted parking lot and you have to go through a check point to validate that you are an employee before entering then I'm ok with that being considered part of the workplace. Although I'm still not comfortable with an employer doing searches on vehicles with no reason.

Church is another scenario. You aren't supposed to carry at church (without permission). So does having a gun in your truck in the parking lot count?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

i work at a place were you cant have one in the car because you go through a gate onto private property . with that being said , during the ice storm a few years back a tree limb fell on a employees car and damaged it . they said that the individuals insurance would have to cover due to it not being said companies property. so, you are parked on private property, tree falls on your car , but you have to pay for it ?!?!? put they can check your car any time they want to ?!?!

Of course you should be able to. The issue at hand is constitutional carry. Contact you representative. We may vote Tuesday.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by scandler View Post
    i work at a place were you cant have one in the car because you go through a gate onto private property . with that being said , during the ice storm a few years back a tree limb fell on a employees car and damaged it . they said that the individuals insurance would have to cover due to it not being said companies property. so, you are parked on private property, tree falls on your car , but you have to pay for it ?!?!? put they can check your car any time they want to ?!?!
    Tree liability is a different beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Should South Carolina pass a bill to protect the rights of employees to keep a weapon locked in their vehicle while at work?

I brought this up in a a different thread and was surprised by some of the answers

Please discuss
    How about repeal and nullify everything that infringes upon "shall not be infringed".
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    How about repeal and nullify everything that infringes upon "shall not be infringed".
    That would be a great start

Quote Originally Posted by scandler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker2 View Post
    Tree liability is a different beast.
    Why?

If someone is parked on your driveway at home and a tree limb falls on their vehicle, or the, do you really think they aren't going to come after you for liability and damages?

I'm waiting to see a lawsuit, if there hasn't already been one, that holds an employer who bars firearms in locked vehicles in the company parking lots responsible when an employee is injured or killed in an incident on the way home after work where his/her having a firearm may have saved them.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I voted yes for obvious reasons, but forgive me for my ignorance on the subject but I am assuming you work in a place where you cannot have a firearm on the property?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    I voted yes for obvious reasons, but forgive me for my ignorance on the subject but I am assuming you work in a place where you cannot have a firearm on the property?
    Many, if not a majority of comapanies have a "no firearms on property" policy.

Usually it is never an issue, I don't know of anyone here in town ever being terminated as a result of one of these policies.

I work for a private company and drive through a gate, past a guard and into a parking lot every morning. Their rule is no firearms on site. They own the land and the business so they make the rules. If I don't like it, I can quit. Should the law force me to allow people to carry on my property if I don't want them to?

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    I work for a private company and drive through a gate, past a guard and into a parking lot every morning. Their rule is no firearms on site. They own the land and the business so they make the rules. If I don't like it, I can quit. Should the law force me to allow people to carry on my property if I don't want them to?

They shouldn't be allowed to physically carry on their person if you don't want them to. But your wants should not affect their right to defend themselves before entering and after leaving your property

They don't care what I do before I get there or after I leave. Their rule is no firearms on site.

And if I hire a crew of Mexicans to come plant trees and I tell them no guns on my property, that's my rule. They can carry whatever they want to and from. And if they don't like my rule, park across the road and walk in. Or don't come at all.

Private property means they make the rules, if you come to my house with your glocks showing, be ready for a cussing and maybe a ass beating. This ain't the Wild West. Quit trying to impress someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Private property means they make the rules, if you come to my house with your glocks showing, be ready for a cussing and maybe a ass beating. This ain't the Wild West. Quit trying to impress someone.
    You take a hit of cottontops cocaine?

I'm with private property rights on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    They shouldn't be allowed to physically carry on their person if you don't want them to. But your wants should not affect their right to defend themselves before entering and after leaving your property
    This. Some think their right trumps others private property rights. If you don't like the rules work somewhere else. Reminds of people complaining about salary and not receiving raises. Make a change if don't like something don't whine to legislators to make your rights supersede others. Start your own corporation and allow guns.