Thread: Trailer registration

Default Trailer registration

From everything I see SC doesn't specify the difference in an enclosed trailer vs an open trailer. I know an open utility trailer doesn't have to be registered but what about an enclosed? From what I see I wouldn't have to register an enclosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by led0321; 03-31-2017 at 04:46 PM.

I'm pretty sure no trailer in SC has to be registered.

Only boat trailers over 2500 pounds and travel trailers have to be registered.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Need to register if using for commercial purposes over state lines.

Default Trailer registration

NC wants you to register everything.

Last edited by led0321; 04-02-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    NC wants you to register everything.

So they can tax it. Amazed Columbia hasn't jumped on that bandwagon
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    So they can tax it. Amazed Columbia hasn't jumped on that bandwagon
    Of course

You still pay.

It's included in the gross vehicle weight of your truck. When you get your tag they will ask you what the heaviest thing is you tow and they factor that into your tag.

What I can't get is why I have to pay for a tag on camper and a ptag on the truck because of the campers weight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    You still pay.

It's included in the gross vehicle weight of your truck. When you get your tag they will ask you what the heaviest thing is you tow and they factor that into your tag.

What I can't get is why I have to pay for a tag on camper and a ptag on the truck because of the campers weight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    This is correct. I don't remember all the details but when I bought a new truck in 2004 and received the renewal in 2005 I noticed a line item regards to GVW.
    A guick calculation on my part ( truck and two passengers, typical everyday load ) and it was no way near the GVW listed on the registration. The DMV assumes maximum GVW for trucks. I called DMV and had the GVW lowered and it saved me a few bucks. Can't remember how much or if it was a bunch of $$$ or not but it did lower the bill.

I have a pop up, utility trailer and a boat trailer. None of them are required to be tagged in SC.
    It's my understanding that you may be opening yourself up to a stop by LEO if trailering non-registered trailers in other states that do require registrations.
    Anybody have any experience with this?
    Last edited by scatter shot; 04-03-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    This is correct. I don't remember all the details but when I bought a new truck in 2004 and received the renewal in 2005 I noticed a line item regards to GVW.
    A guick calculation on my part ( truck and two passengers, typical everyday load ) and it was no way near the GVW listed on the registration. The DMV assumes maximum GVW for trucks. I called DMV and had the GVW lowered and it saved me a few bucks. Can't remember how much or if it was a bunch of $$$ or not but it did lower the bill.

I have a pop up, utility trailer and a boat trailer. None of them are required to be tagged in SC.
    It's my understanding that you may be opening yourself up to a stop by LEO if trailering non-registered trailers in other states that do require registrations.
    One of my guys is a SC resident and was stationed in Georgia. He was stopped by an LEO in Georgia and had to pay a fee in court even though his vehicles were registered in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post

Got stopped in NC once. The state trooper walked up to me ask for DL and registration. All ok, he said that he saw the trailer had no tag but the fact I was licensed and registering SC , I did not have to have a trailer because there is no way to get one.

Got stopped in DeWitt AR one morning, he couldn't believe we didn't have tags on our trailers even asked to see boat registration.
    cut\'em

Unless commercial you don't have to register. I have a question though. I pull a heavy trailer some but have a specialty tag (DU). If I were to up my weight limit on my registration, would I lose my specialty tag and have to have a P tag? I don't pull for commercial use, it is recreational use.
    Go Tigers!!!