Thread: Toughest cell phone

Default Toughest cell phone

Looks like its time to go cell phone shopping again.

Looking to replace an android phone on Verizon. What do you have that isn't a fragile piece of junk?

I have the droid turbo II and its been pretty tough, but died this morning.

New iPhone 7s are water resistant and Samsung makes the "active" phones which are water proof as well. They all are fragile now. A good lifeporoof or otter box case if money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    New iPhone 7s are water resistant and Samsung makes the "active" phones which are water proof as well. They all are fragile now. A good lifeporoof or otter box case if money well spent.
    This. I got an Iphone 7 when I got back after only having Motorola droids for several years. I always take the new phone out of the box and put it into a otterbox defender right away.

Droid and Iphones both have little nuances that make them neat but the Iphone has won me over.
    Last edited by led0321; 03-29-2017 at 12:51 PM.

The Samsung active also has the Gorilla glass. Still, get a good case.

I wish Casio made a good tough smart phone. Those old Casio Gzone flip phones where tough as nails back in the day.

Iphone in a lifeproof is hard to beat
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Grown ups have Samsungs

I can't stand the bulkiness of otter box cases, and the last life proof case I had was given away because it messed up the sound quality when I was speaking to someone.

I got to the point where I just have a thin leather case on the back, the glass protector on the front, I back it up every couple of months, and I have insurance. If it breaks, so what, I pay the money and get a new one. When I go duck hunting, it stays in the boat or truck. I'm not extra careful with it or baby it... I've had this phone for over 8 months now and it's still fine.

I have the 6+ now, whenever the 8 comes out I'll go ahead and upgrade.

the droid turbo 2 has been a tough phone for me phisically, but i went through two of them before my 1 year warranty was out. both of them had random shit that went wrong with them. the first one developed a green line that went all the way from the top of the screen to the bottom, the second one would just turn off for no reason, and sometimes it would come back on and sometimes not. The third one im on now has recently started to restart itself for no reason, but its only done it two or three times, but im sure it will eventually get worse.

i swear, they make a phone thats pretty tough on the outside and its a piece of junk on the inside. they make one thats good on the inside, and the screen breaks if you drop it on the floorboard.

fact is, they dont make these phones to last longer than 2 years. period.

Quote Originally Posted by Cribbcaller View Post
    I wish Casio made a good tough smart phone. Those old Casio Gzone flip phones where tough as nails back in the day.
    They made a smart phone at one time, it was the Gzone commando and I managed to break two of them.

I've had the same old iPhone 5s for a couple years now with the glass protector on the front and a magpul case. I've only broken one screen protector because it got stuck in a recliner.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    the droid turbo 2 has been a tough phone for me phisically, but i went through two of them before my 1 year warranty was out. both of them had random shit that went wrong with them. the first one developed a green line that went all the way from the top of the screen to the bottom, the second one would just turn off for no reason, and sometimes it would come back on and sometimes not. The third one im on now has recently started to restart itself for no reason, but its only done it two or three times, but im sure it will eventually get worse.

i swear, they make a phone thats pretty tough on the outside and its a piece of junk on the inside. they make one thats good on the inside, and the screen breaks if you drop it on the floorboard.

fact is, they dont make these phones to last longer than 2 years. period.
    You nailed it. And mine is 13 months old.

ETA: Mine would always get hot. I think it cooked itself this morning. It was hot to the touch and shut itself down and hasn't been up for more than 5 minutes since.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 03-29-2017 at 03:04 PM.

My S6 Active is pretty damn tough. Its hit the deck quite a few times with nothing more than some nicks on the corners. Not just water resistant but has an underwater photo mode. I know originally they were only available through AT&T. Not sure about now. I dont think the S7 Active is as tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I have a 7. Good phone but if you're in dusty or dirt environments make sure you get a case that has a charge port cover.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Without the find my iPhone app I am fucked. I have lost that damn thing in fields 3 times in the past year. That said I am stuck on an iPhone.

Screw a lifeproof case, they offer zero drop protection.
    cut\'em

I was pleasantly surprised to learn we could process it under insurance with no charge to me. And even more impressed by the fact that we put in the order last night around 7:45 and fedex delivered it to me from Texas 15 hours later.

Iphone & Otter Box is the way to go

I believe Verizon began pre-orders on the S8 today. The launch still a few weeks away.

I've dropped my iPhone on the concrete floors at work more times than I can count and it has never cracked or broken on me. Underneath the otter box it still looks good as new
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

iPhone in life proof...
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    iPhone in life proof NUUD with security screen protector....
    FIFY
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013