Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Win for Total Wine in SC Supreme Court

Default Big Win for Total Wine in SC Supreme Court

Three licenses per retailer is unconstitutional per the court.

http://www.sccourts.org/opinions/HTMLFiles/SC/27709.pdf

Wooo Hooo! This mean we can get likker at all the costcos now.

That's what it will mean...

It's the right ruling.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I of course don't think it is.... there are gray areas in life, but I don't really have anything to say about it right now.

Man this thing got posted to quick

HS, other than it being your livelihood and all, what is wrong with this ruling?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

I don't blame you for that.

I am just curious if it hurts the mom and pop business model...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

CliffsNotes please?

Basically the big box mentality. The more money you have, the more liquor you can buy, and send to more stores that you have, forcing liquor Companies to sell to you cheaper than the guy with only 3 stores can buy it. Thus the small guys get run out of business. Family owned Grocery Stores, gone. Family/Small Town Hardware stores(some of my most favorite places to visit) gone, family owned personalized service, get what you want because you're a good customer liquor stores, soon to be gone now. I will look at 10 small liquor stores now or do without before going to Total Wine or Green's. I live in Chapin or I would be Ralph's best damn customer.

Thank you

No clue though on what will happen, it's all speculation right now. Total wanted 10 stores before, we'll see what happens with our lawmakers. It could very well affect the industry all the way around, not just stores.

If you live in Chapin, do you drive 10 miles to Irmo to go to a Total Wine or Costco (that are open now) or buy at the likker store in Chapin? Not likely that Costco or Total Wine will open a store in every little hamlet in SC, just the major markets where they are now. Greens in Irmo is "Frugal MacDougals" on your credit card receipt, just another way to get around the 3 license limit anyway. Costco in Irmo has a likker store, but it is run by a third party.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    If you live in Chapin, do you drive 10 miles to Irmo to go to a Total Wine or Costco (that are open now) or buy at the likker store in Chapin? Not likely that Costco or Total Wine will open a store in every little hamlet in SC, just the major markets where they are now. Greens in Irmo is "Frugal MacDougals" on your credit card receipt, just another way to get around the 3 license limit anyway. Costco in Irmo has a likker store, but it is run by a third party.
    Maybe, but I wonder if Total Wine now develops some concept to go after the smaller markets. A smaller store with a smaller selection, but still cheap prices based on their overall pricing power. Frankly, I'm shocked the Supreme Court ruled the way it did. I thought they'd uphold the three-license limit as some type of "safety" issue. But, apparently, the lawyer for the DOR and ABC conceded that these provisions were just a form of economic protectionism. That pretty much forced the court's hand, I guess.

Total Wine doesn't make money on the brand's I or others sell. They sell most everything for cost, and have a huge markups on their own private labels. That's why their employees work so hard on switching you.

It's like the racist Tillman's dispensary law in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Total Wine doesn't make money on the brand's I or others sell. They sell most everything for cost, and have a huge markups on their own private labels. That's why their employees work so hard on switching you.
    Interesting. It would seem to me, then, that their model does not lend itself to small markets.

I wouldn't think they'd want to. Take a look at their lawsuits across the country, they're out there.

I'll continue going to my neighborhood liquor store. I can be there and back home in less than 10 minutes. I'm not going to make a special trip to a larger store just to save a few cents. Perhaps I would buy liquor at Costco if I'm already there, but I'm not going out of my way to go to a Total Wine or similar big box liquor store. That said, I'm not against the ruling.

How does it work at Costco? Is there a separate entrance and check out just for the liquor? At my neighborhood spot, I would have to go into the party shop next door to buy beer, mixers, etc. Is Costco allowed to sell the liquor in the same spot as all of their other wares?

I've never set foot in a Total Wine or the Costco likker store and don't intend to. I buy my likker out the back of a Ford Excursion. All he needs on it is some flashing lights and a megaphone that plays old country music and it'd be like an ice cream truck for grown folks........
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Walmart doesn't exist because people refuse to shop there. Capitalism is a bitch sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynchmob View Post
    I'll continue going to my neighborhood liquor store. I can be there and back home in less than 10 minutes. I'm not going to make a special trip to a larger store just to save a few cents. Perhaps I would buy liquor at Costco if I'm already there, but I'm not going out of my way to go to a Total Wine or similar big box liquor store. That said, I'm not against the ruling.

How does it work at Costco? Is there a separate entrance and check out just for the liquor? At my neighborhood spot, I would have to go into the party shop next door to buy beer, mixers, etc. Is Costco allowed to sell the liquor in the same spot as all of their other wares?
    Yes, separate entrance and checkout. At the ones I've seen, it's right next to the main entrance.
    Last edited by LC17; 03-31-2017 at 07:50 AM.