Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Well-Managed Private Property for Turkeys

Damn Justin, you out to have birds in the set-up you got with the bottoms and all I saw that day I came over.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    We're doing our part on herbicide work in the upstate. Thinning acres released pre/post thinning since 2009. Our TIMO understory is clean!

What scares me about the herbicide is losing native grasses, beggar lice, partridge pea, other legumes etc. I have worked hard to take care of.......
    Last edited by BRR; 03-31-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Damn Justin, you out to have birds in the set-up you got with the bottoms and all I saw that day I came over.
    Different tract of land. My house is just as bad. Have not heard a bird there and no pictures of them either. Occasionally see one cross the road or tracts in the roads. No lack of trying to have the necessities to hold them close by.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    What scares me about the herbicide is losing native grasses, beggar lice, partridge pea, other legumes etc. I have worked hard to take care of.......
    Herbicide in a mid rotation release helps bring back native forbs and grasses by eliminating the Sweetgum mid story allowing additional sunlight to the forest floor. I have stands I've released that came back in almost pure pokeberry. Absolutely the best return of investment in regards to pine management with many wildlife benefits when coupled with fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Today I got a chance to hunt the most manicured piece of turkey land I've ever been on. Their maintenance budget must be huge. It didn't seem to have any more bird's than most of the places I've hunted, but a good friend got his first.

Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    Herbicide in a mid rotation release helps bring back native forbs and grasses by eliminating the Sweetgum mid story allowing additional sunlight to the forest floor. I have stands I've released that came back in almost pure pokeberry. Absolutely the best return of investment in regards to pine management with many wildlife benefits when coupled with fire.
    I did this on 90 acres of once-thinned pines last year. Gonna knock it back again with fire this winter.
    Carolina Counsel

The more you burn it following the herbicide tmt., the better it will respond with herbaceous growth!
    BRR, the amazing thing about 12-16 ozs. of Imazapyr is it not only releases the pines to more available resources, it releases the herbaceous ground cover as well!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Today I got a chance to hunt the most manicured piece of turkey land I've ever been on. Their maintenance budget must be huge. It didn't seem to have any more bird's than most of the places I've hunted, but a good friend got his first.

I haven't kept up with this thread too much, but that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Y'all need a toke and some booby time. Everybody all stressed out.
    Sig worthy

Boozers and Buycks. Dang what a combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Friend that lives on the pasture ground has not seen a gobbler all year.
    Me and the disabled guy you got kicked off the property kilt them all with strutter decoys and fanning. We pulled 9 across the road to the game management by fanning them. It did feel damn good.