Thread: Advice for AR lower assembly tools

Default Advice for AR lower assembly tools

I've got a stripped lower that I need to assemble and I know that I can get by almost anything under the sun to assemble it. However this lower has a tax stamp with it so I want to make damn sure I don't break anything when assembling the trigger guard. This isn't the first lower I've assembled but since doing the first lower I have lost the punches I used.

What punches, roll pin holders, and roll pin pusher do you recommend. I'm positive I'll be building more than this one lower so I want something that will last.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Go get you a 1/4 clevis pin. It is damned near essential in the installation of the front take down pin detent.

A castle nut wrench helps, but isn't necessary.

Other than your standard punches and a brass hammer, I can't think of anything else that's really essential except for VERY GOOD lighting for when you send a spring & detent flying through the air.

My 1st lower, way back when, was built with an ice pick, a small hammer, some electrical tape to ease marring, and a larger roll of tape as a "bench rest". It was completed on the kitchen table.

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.

Dremel

I use a razor blade for the front take down detent and pin.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

I put mine together with a pair of channel locks wrapped in electrical tape. I pushed the roll pins right in with no beating or anything. Easy as pie
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

You can buy a castle nut wrench rather cheap and its worth having. I've tried using channel locks wrapped with electrical tape but couldn't get it as tight as I would have liked.

I've got an armorers wrench so that'll take care of the castle nut. Just don't want to screw up this lower since it'll host a short barrel upper and has the tax stamp.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 03-28-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I put mine together with a pair of channel locks wrapped in electrical tape. I pushed the roll pins right in with no beating or anything. Easy as pie
    I did the exact same each time

Knipex pliers wrench.

Here you go, skip to 1:15.

Last edited by Kioti; 03-28-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Channel locks wrapped in electric tape are the trick.

No where near as good as the pliers I mentioned and they are definitely useful for other tasks.

Small c clamp works great for the trigger guard roll pin.

The roll pin for the bolt catch to me is the hardest to get in without scratching something.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    The roll pin for the bolt catch to me is the hardest to get in without scratching something.
    Use blue painter's tape to mask off the areas on the lower around those pin holes. No scratches.