Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    Makes no sense I need my empty tag form when I'm not in possession of a weapon. However, I will put it in my vest next time I take him.
    I agree, a lot of their wording makes no sense to me. BJ

Makes no sense I need my empty tag form when I'm not in possession of a weapon. However, I will put it in my vest next time I take him.
    First thing written in the dnr regulations for hunting: "hunting is defined as trying to find, seek, obtain, pursue, or diligently search for game"
    So calling/guiding someone would fall under the definition of hunting and require tags/licensing. Tags are free, it's easy enough to play by the rules.

Well by that definition, I have a question. If I am seeking turkeys for photography purposes during irked season, do I have to have tags. Just curious I know a couple people that don't want to shoot a bird. They just want up close pictures.

I believe the guy referenced in the original post was baiting turkeys. I may be wrong. I think he had sunflower seeds out and got caught.

I put out scratch feed and cameras before he season to take inventory, but I won't put any out after Jan, just to be safe.

On another note, what does a mineral block have to do with turkeys?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    First thing written in the dnr regulations for hunting: "hunting is defined as trying to find, seek, obtain, pursue, or diligently search for game"
    So calling/guiding someone would fall under the definition of hunting and require tags/licensing. Tags are free, it's easy enough to play by the rules.
    I don't have a problem playing by the rules. I was unaware I needed to tote an empty form to call for others with no weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

seems like BS but who knows.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

cofc waterfowler...SECTION 50-11-510. Prohibition against baiting wild turkeys; definitions.

It is unlawful for a person to hunt or take or attempt to hunt or take a wild turkey by means of, or aid or use of, bait or baiting or on or over any baited area.

As used in this section, "bait" or "baiting' means the placing, "depositing, exposing, distributing, or scattering of salt, shelled, shucked, or unshucked corn, wheat, or other grain, or other foodstuffs to constitute for wild turkeys a lure, attraction, or enticement to, on, or over any areas where hunters are attempting to take them, and "baited area" means an area where salt, shelled, shucked, or unshucked corn, wheat, or other grain, or other foodstuffs capable of luring, attracting, or enticing wild turkeys is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and the area remains a baited area for ten days following complete removal of all bait.

if i was one of the 6 jurors i would have to ask you where knowledge is in the law? just saying

I don't have a problem playing by the rules. I was unaware I needed to tote an empty form to call for others with no weapon.
    Was speaking generally, sorry if it came off wrong.

Good thing DNR came out before the one of the working birds was shot. Stakes go up quick for a bird taken over bait.

Quote Originally Posted by duckmeat View Post
    cofc waterfowler...SECTION 50-11-510. Prohibition against baiting wild turkeys; definitions.

It is unlawful for a person to hunt or take or attempt to hunt or take a wild turkey by means of, or aid or use of, bait or baiting or on or over any baited area.

As used in this section, "bait" or "baiting' means the placing, "depositing, exposing, distributing, or scattering of salt, shelled, shucked, or unshucked corn, wheat, or other grain, or other foodstuffs to constitute for wild turkeys a lure, attraction, or enticement to, on, or over any areas where hunters are attempting to take them, and "baited area" means an area where salt, shelled, shucked, or unshucked corn, wheat, or other grain, or other foodstuffs capable of luring, attracting, or enticing wild turkeys is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and the area remains a baited area for ten days following complete removal of all bait.

if i was one of the 6 jurors i would have to ask you where knowledge is in the law? just saying
    Most mineral rocks and trophy rocks are 94% salt. Isn't salt a mineral?

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Camera, SD Card and mineral rock will not come back until after the trial. You would be allowed to inspect all three. It really comes down to whether the GW can prove your buddy had knowledge of the rock being present on the property. There are a number of ways to disprove knowledge at trial, unless the defendant confessed to having knowledge. You also have to convince 6 people a crime occurred.

I will bet dollars to donuts someone snitched on your buddy. GW in general are too lazy to go walking around a piece of property looking for bait unless they have a tip. They would much rather burn gas on the roads and listen to the radio.

The only downside to cutting their ass at trial is they will harass you forever.
    The knowledge element has been altered by statute for some time.

When did you graduate from law school?

Does my wife need her Migratory Bird Permit when she walks out to bring me a beer in the dove field?
    it is illegal to discharge a firearm in SC if you have taken even 1 sip of alcohol( says under the influence but sets no limit so the limit is 1 sip )

"Foodstuffs" just about covers it all.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by CoachHunter View Post
    Game warden told him he had walked his property a few weeks earlier and found exactly 5 sunflower seeds and the trophy rock so figured he must be baiting. im thinking he couldn't find any bait so used the trophy rock to keep him from looking like a dumbass.
    If the GW wanted an iron clad case, all he had to do was return within 10 days of the season opener and collect his evidence if there was any there. What probably happened is he saw the mineral block and knew he could get him on that technicality regardless so didn't bother with worrying about the seeds. In other words, he doesn't give a damn about protecting wildlife, only being dickhead LEO.

Heres a question about tags. What if someone was to join you to "observe". He isnt hunting (no gun) and isnt calling ( no calls). Just sitting there to learn, a newbie or someone seeing if its worth their time etc. Or what if someone was videoing it, same situation, no guns or calls ? Would they need tags?

i had to get tags for my 6 yo little girl in case she wants to sit with me. i don't need any hassles. She and her sis got tags last year too.

So what if you are calling an you have tags just not on you?

What if you left the book in the truck?

The whole baited thing is gonna be hard to argue unfortunately.
    I went through this a few years ago with protein feeders.

They are built so the deer has to actually stick it's about in to the feeder to get the protein.
    Dnr still ruled this as bait??

Ok so if that is the case anything is fair game.

But the tags are Intriguing me.
    This sounds stupid
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I hope some of yall are never on my jury. The way yall can tell so much about what actually happened based on a 2 line post is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC_ducks View Post
    Heres a question about tags. What if someone was to join you to "observe". He isnt hunting (no gun) and isnt calling ( no calls). Just sitting there to learn, a newbie or someone seeing if its worth their time etc. Or what if someone was videoing it, same situation, no guns or calls ? Would they need tags?
    If memory serves me correctly, while duck hunting, as long as someone was along as an 'observer only', and didn't 'participate in the hunt' by calling, etc, they did not need a license. At least this was the way it was a few years back when I asked the question. I would think it would be the same for all game seasons.

I, personally, don't think that taking pictures or videos of game would be defined as participating in the hunt, but I guess I'd call DNR for a clarification and tell them you are recording the call.

The point made by Timberman22 earlier was that he was calling for his son. This constituted his participation in the hunt, per the regs.
    Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I hope some of yall are never on my jury. The way yall can tell so much about what actually happened based on a 2 line post is impressive.
    I've been told that it's all the fluoride in the water and their toothpaste that makes everyone so smart. Get with the program and stop filtering out the fluoride!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    This is a good point. I am going by what my buddy said and the evidence that was taken. The only evidence taken from the property was a trophy rock and a game camera. The game warden told him to stay off that particular food plot for 7 days. He could still hunt his property, just not the food plot where the trophy rock was. No other bait was found or taken.

Game Wardens have an unpopular job and I appreciate 95% of them and the job they get paid shit for to protect out natural resources. Really sounds like this fella had nothing better to do if he is trying to chase a fella who is unknowingly breaking the law and putting the turkey at no disadvantage what so ever. Go chase the boys throwing out chicken scratch.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin