Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts

Default Thoughts

My buddy got a $160 ticket today for hunting turkeys over bait. He was set up with 2 gobblers about 80 yards away working their way in when a game warden pops out. The "bait" was a trophy rock he keeps put out for deer in the corner of the food plot. Took his camera and rock also. Anybody else ever heard of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your buddy got screwed

piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

Sounds like a real dick

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Tell him to take it to trial if he feels strongly about it. I know it's just $160 but it's the principle. This is entirely going off of the assumption that your buddy did not lie to you at all and that green jeans does not know something else. If mineral sites were considered Turkey bait then 90% of the guys on this website would be in violation.

piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

That really does sound like a young, gung-ho GW that was trying to write a ticket. Total BS, IMO.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I'll take an unpopular opinion...Salt, as well as bait/feed for other species is specifically mentioned in the turkey baiting laws

Was it excessive enforcement, probably. Was it an oversight on the hunters part, probably. Was it illegal, yes.

I believe I remember seeing in the rules that minerals were considered bait, which is BS. If I'm not mistaken you can't even have "bait" anywhere on the property right? Even if it's 1/2 mile away.
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 03-25-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Man. That's a tough ticket to take. I'd have a real issue, but ''tis what 'tis
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Game warden told him he had walked his property a few weeks earlier and found exactly 5 sunflower seeds and the trophy rock so figured he must be baiting. im thinking he couldn't find any bait so used the trophy rock to keep him from looking like a dumbass.

What's the camera got to do with it.

The camera was on the trophy rock. Guess he needed that to look for evidence.

I got stopped yesterday. First time in a while
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I have mineral blocks out for deer year round and have never seen a turkey take any interest in one. That is complete BS, I did get checked on opening day around lunch time when I was trying to work 4 gobblers that didn't have any hens with them.

Which county? Send me a pm. I will represent him in court. I can't stand a green jean.

He took the camera to prove the "knowledge" element of the crime. I hope your buddy exercised his right to remain silent. Who else hunts the property? Who put the minerals out? When? Did your buddy have knowledge the minerals were in the field? Did another person who hunts the property tell him the minerals were removed? Knowledge is the hardest element to prove.
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 03-26-2017 at 10:03 AM.

The camera could also prove that turkeys don't eat trophy rock. I would request the SD card back......And check it for tampering......Let them copy it if they want.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Camera, SD Card and mineral rock will not come back until after the trial. You would be allowed to inspect all three. It really comes down to whether the GW can prove your buddy had knowledge of the rock being present on the property. There are a number of ways to disprove knowledge at trial, unless the defendant confessed to having knowledge. You also have to convince 6 people a crime occurred.

I will bet dollars to donuts someone snitched on your buddy. GW in general are too lazy to go walking around a piece of property looking for bait unless they have a tip. They would much rather burn gas on the roads and listen to the radio.

The only downside to cutting their ass at trial is they will harass you forever.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Camera, SD Card and mineral rock will not come back until after the trial. You would be allowed to inspect all three. It really comes down to whether the GW can prove your buddy had knowledge of the rock being present on the property. There are a number of ways to disprove knowledge at trial, unless the defendant confessed to having knowledge. You also have to convince 6 people a crime occurred.

I will bet dollars to donuts someone snitched on your buddy. GW in general are too lazy to go walking around a piece of property looking for bait unless they have a tip. They would much rather burn gas on the roads and listen to the radio.

The only downside to cutting their ass at trial is they will harass you forever.
    So as long as I don't "know" there's corn in my swamp I'm good to go? Didn't know baiting laws worked like that.

Soooooooooo..... where did sunflower seeds come from????

So is he saying he has BAITED it but I should have been gone?