Thread: Mariner 9.9c year model??

Default Mariner 9.9c year model??

I'm having trouble finding the Year model on this motor.
    Is it made by Yamaha or Mercury ?
    Thanks

There's a fine line between HARDCORE AND IGNORANCE!

It's a 1978.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

\"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

I have looked on that chart, 1978 9.9m it's 9.9c

Ok after googling 1978 Mariner 9.9 I found this on another forum.

galamb
    02-15-2016, 07:36 PM
    You have a Yamaha built (for Mercury) Mariner.

Now, I will give you a little background here but I don't want you to take it the wrong way. Although it may sound like it, I'm not saying this was a sub-standard motor in any way.

In the early 1970's Merc wanted to market an outboard that could compete, primarily in Asia, with other lower cost options from other Mfg's. They didn't want to (cut down) any of their Merc line so they worked out a deal with Yamaha to build a line of motors for them (Mariners).

They accomplished the cost savings by making them as exact copies of motors that Yamaha had (mostly) discontinued. That allowed Merc to sell a more wallet friendly motor and allowed Yamaha to get rid of a whole pile of parts for a model that they no longer marketed themselves. So what you got was a brand new, well built motor that was just a few years "technology wise" older than the "next best thing" that was currently on the market with either Merc or Yamaha decals on it.

The ID number of your motor gives everything you need to know about the motor. It breaks down as follows:

682 - Yamaha identifier that tells you it was a clone of Yamaha's own 1978 B Model 9.9 with standard prop
    C - was the Merc model designation - this was called (by Merc) the Mariner 9.9C model
    S - indicates it's a "short shaft" - designed to be mounted on a 15" transom
    045157 - is the actual serial number indicating that it was "built" in 1983 (but is "mechanically a 1978 Yami)

Merc dealers will list the serial number for this as 682-045157 and using that if you look up a model 9.9C at any of the on-line parts look up sites should direct you to parts for your model (currently listed on the parts page for "9.9C serial number 682-032886 and above")

Some Mariner models became quite popular in North America, most notably the model 40C. In Australia, perhaps because they were close to the Asian market, the entire line became popular and they probably have more of these still in operation than anywhere else.

By the mid/later 1980's the Mariner line became popular enough that Merc started building a Merc/Mariner (just a Merc with Mariner colours/decals) that were sold along side the remaining Yamaha/Mariner's. The last 9.9 Yami Mariners were built for the 1986 model year. After that the 9.9 Mariners were pure Merc.

If you are living in OZ you can probably source many parts for these somewhat locally. If you are in the US (or N. America) it could be challenging. The 9.9C was here, just not in great numbers and there is just not much in the line of OEM parts that are still on the market although the "biggies" as far as keeping a decent running motor on the water, being a carb kit and impeller for the waterpump, are still available through any Merc dealer
    racerone
    02-15-2016, 08:02 PM